helping struggling Ontario fishing lodge owners this season

scuro2

2 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I think it would be a good strategy for those who normally cater to Americans to start using social media and other means to shift their focus on securing Canadian guests. 

That’s great... but why wouldn’t they have been doing that since like 2010? It’s free. Businesses that weather adversity thrive...the others...well...

Like all business...gotta be smart and ready for almost anything...even this crappy hand we’ve been dealt. The good ones will make it...the others weren’t meant to...

It’s been put to song many times because it’s so true...only the strong survive.

9 hours ago, T-Bone said:

That’s great... but why wouldn’t they have been doing that since like 2010? It’s free. Businesses that weather adversity thrive...the others...well...

Like all business...gotta be smart and ready for almost anything...even this crappy hand we’ve been dealt. The good ones will make it...the others weren’t meant to...

It’s been put to song many times because it’s so true...only the strong survive.

So true. I think we’ve all seen businesses wither away because they didn’t stick with the times or adapt to changes. Granted, Covid 19 caught so many off guard, so to prepare for that was probably not possible (speaking of the first year). but we’re in this now year two and probably going to be lingering effects for the next few so immediate action on counter strategy is vital for those who’s clientele have been greatly reduced and will likely to be over the next few years. 
 I.e. marketing strategies, package options, value added services, etc. Thinking outside the box instead of trying to plug away as usual may not only help survive the times but also build the business into a much stronger, profitable one post-covid.

I wish all business owners luck. So many have folded already. 

14 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I think it would be a good strategy for those who normally cater to Americans to start using social media and other means to shift their focus on Canadian guests. 

We stayed on the French twice last year. The lodge owner had some decent interest by using social media and word of mouth. I don’t know if they were booked solid but I believe they were quite steady. 

I agree completely social media is imperative these days we spend hundreds of dollars advertising each month only in Ontario.  The challenge in times like this is getting people to book.  People are afraid to make a booking. Lockdown after lockdown and stories of lost deposits and delayed reservations makes it tough, We completely get it.  

We made a decision to offer residents a full refund if your trip get cancelled due to a covid lockdown or restriction that prevents your trip from going forward.  Hoping that if people have nothing to loose then they will feel more comfortable making a booking. Even then people are afraid.  I had a Coorporate trip where the business was picking up the tab, and they could not find enough people willing to travel for free!!

Times are tough and unprecedented for sure.   Hang in there folks we will get through this.

Adam

Edited by Adam Wood
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 10:54 PM, T-Bone said:

...It’s been put to song many times because it’s so true...only the strong survive.

I dunno. I think that sentiment is a little tone deaf. No one saw this coming. You can social media till your eyes bleed in this 2nd year but if the bulk of Canadian fishermen live in the GTA, how many Canadians are going to drive anywhere near the distance to Thunder Bay and your establishment? As a lodge owner you may have made a big investment in 2019 and I bet there are a lot of operations where they are now fully dependent on the wife's income to keep their establishment afloat. In this situation bull-crap to, "only the strong survive". There is a lot of chance and luck playing into this also. If your place is on the French River you're golden, you will be fully booked and it's the best of times. If on the other hand you're on Lac Seul and you had a STRONG business with 95% American customers, you could be on your knees.

This is exactly why I'm doing it different this year and making the trek out that way. Go fish in a different pond, it's an adjustment that if enough of us made it, then it could make a difference. Like a mini Ontarian fishing Dunkirk. You get a banner fishing year in prime fishing weeks with some lodges more then 1/2 empty. To boot some places are offering discounted rates. Win-win.

Edited by scuro2
  • Like 3