helping struggling Ontario fishing lodge owners this season

scuro2

I've been looking for a place to go this year and have looked as far as Saskatchewan. Problem is when is a safe time to get on a plane? What some lodge owners did last year was to open their lodges up to Canadians and they may well start their season off like that again this year with the borders being closed. Who knows where it goes from there. Like last year those places closer to Toronto are fully booked or near capacity. This year there is a good chance my wife and I will have at least one jab at the start of the season. It may be the year to take that long road trip west. Having retired it could be a trip that lasts several weeks. 

Perhaps there are others like me willing to go to western Ontario for the 1st time to fish. If you own a lodge or know of a lodge that would be struggling this year I'd like to hear from you. We could be in the enviable position where you only have to commit to a few days but could stay as long as you like if you stubble upon a gem. 

• Like 1

Have a look at Ontario Fishing Network. There are tons of links directing you to lodges all around Northern Ontario. You should be able to find what you're looking for?

TJ (The Owner of OFC) is an admin here and the original owner of this message board.

OFC

Dan.

This is unlike any other year in the business. Last year most places stayed closed. This year it's a mixed bag. Some are closed, some are full steam ahead, and others are sitting on the fence. I imagine some lodges have gone out of business. I've contacted establishments that are not returning emails. It would be nice to help those establishments who are seeking business and probably need business. WIN-WIN. We are a community so I thought I'd give it a try. May be I'd get a lead or two but no worries if nothing comes of this, I have some spots in mind already. I'm just fishing for ideas to make a search a little easier! :) 

Edited by scuro2

We have the perfect place for you and your wife Pine Portage Lodge.  We are a fly-in fishing Resort north of Wawa, On. .  We offer the Meal Plan or Housekeeping what every it is you would like.  We will be celebrating 75 years this year and would love to have you come and visit with us.   Please check out our web site at www.fishthefinest.com or email us [email protected].  Our Facebook page also has a lot of posts and information.  

We have a airplane base right on Wawa Lake and free parking for all of our guests.   Any one wishing to stay away from all those crowded beaches and camp grounds this summer,  this will be a trip of a life time.    

What do you have to lose give us a call or fill out the online reservation form provided on our website.

DSCN0134.JPG.6829ed31984126bdd1dfaf494e4e902c.JPG

100_1191.JPG

10636554_702022533217154_1512861755621105100_o.jpg

• Like 5

Sportsman's Lodge and Manitoba Trophy Outposts (trophypikecanada.com)

Owned and operated by a Canadian. Brett Geary lives in Red Lake and owns this fish camp on Little Vermilion along with a couple outpost camps.

This is a fly in that is economical, just a short ten minute float plane ride from base camp on the the Chukuni  River.

Lots of small to medium size walleye and giant pike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pine portage said:

We have a airplane base right on Wawa Lake and free parking for all of our guests.   Any one wishing to stay away from all those crowded beaches and camp grounds this summer,  this will be a trip of a life time.    

What do you have to lose give us a call or fill out the online reservation form provided on our website.

Thanks for that! I've been to Wawa before, we stayed at Naturally Superior, and I really liked the area. They outfitted a lovely day canoe ride down the Michipicton river which I'd love her to do for the first time. I had always wondered about fishing in these parts. I'll show the Mrs and who knows!

It is encouraging to know that outfitters/lodge owners are getting bookings. Many have gone under in the last year. It was tough getting bookings and many never recovered from the last Super Recesion let alone losing an entire year of revenue due to Covid. The hydro, gas, telephone, property tax bill among others not mentioned doesn't care if you don't have business, "No money? Too bad pay me. You are sick and can't work a second or 3rd job, too bad, pay me. Wife lost her job? Too bad pay me. Kids moved back home, too bad pay me."

To answer your 1st question, it may never be safe to travel by air in the future. We just do not know enough about covid-19 as well as the vacines for C-19 to answer that question for certain. What about novel virus covid-21. (The number behind the word covid is the year the virus is identified.) The second thing is that the borders are closed to non commercial vehicular traffic or persons walking across a border crossing for the purpose of vacationing i.e. snowbirds driving across the border to vacation south. It gets cloudy when someone outside the US owns property within the US rents it out and can prove that.  Anyone can fly across the border, rent a car and be on their way for any reason including fishing in Saskatchewan. I have a close freind that has property in Florida and South Carolina he rents out. He made arrangements to ship his car to Florida, flew to Sarasota airport where his car was waiting for him and his wife and he will stay in the US for the next 6 months. Another couple had their car waiting for them on the NY side of the border, got in it and drove to a rental in Florida. 

Please do not take my word for it. The Canadian and US governments have a boat load of information stating what rules and regualtions are in place for crossing the US?Canada border. Regulations may vary for each country. DO NOT ASSUME anything, have paperwork, such as a tax roll for your US or Canadian property you may own in place and at your disposal to show US or Canada Customs. Not every Customs/Immigration official knows 100% of the regulations, it seems they change with regularity.

Oh I think many people will be flying sometime this late summer or fall. Once many are vaccinated and the rate of spread drops off a cliff there will be about as much danger flying as during a normal flu season. Those vaccinated don't have to worry as much about the worst outcomes. You will also see Covid much weaker during the summer as it was last year. Where we go late 2021-22 who knows. It could be more like normal, perhaps with booster shots at your pharmacy for those that want it. I think you will see mask wearing by a portion of the population for some time.

35 minutes ago, pics said:

The more southern Ontario resorts were fully booked but Northwestern ones were hit hard. Apparently most people think that it's too far to drive past Temagami..

Yes you are correct, but really Toronto area to Wawa is about 10 hour drive, but there are alternate highway options like  hwy 144 that does cut off about 2 hours.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pine portage said:

Yes you are correct, but really Toronto area to Wawa is about 10 hour drive, but there are alternate highway options like  hwy 144 that does cut off about 2 hours.   

People really don't know what they're missing.. I travel to the Nipigon region myself...

On 3/16/2021 at 3:18 PM, pine portage said:

We have the perfect place for you and your wife Pine Portage Lodge.  We are a fly-in fishing Resort north of Wawa, On. .  We offer the Meal Plan or Housekeeping what every it is you would like.  We will be celebrating 75 years this year and would love to have you come and visit with us.   Please check out our web site at www.fishthefinest.com or email us [email protected].  Our Facebook page also has a lot of posts and information.  

DSCN0134.JPG.6829ed31984126bdd1dfaf494e4e902c.JPG

100_1191.JPG

10636554_702022533217154_1512861755621105100_o.jpg

During normal years this would be considered advertising on the site and discouraged. With what our business people such as yourself are going through now, advertise away. Nice looking place you have there. I've never stayed at a lodge but if I ever was I picture a place like yours. Luxury for us was a picnic table and indoor plumbing. One cabin on the Ottawa we rented for years starting mid 80's for years and we actually eventually purchased on crown land for 5 grand was $100.00 a week including a 12' tinny, no motor though. Good luck. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pine portage said:

We do apologize wasn't aware that we couldn't advertise on the site.  I will remove them didn't mean to offend anyone.

No offence taken we do have very good advertising rates and would welcome you to discuss them with TJQ  He has a few avenues that I am sure could help you increase your business  as well as support this site. 

Good luck and hopefully we can get back to a more normal world this year and fish. 

Art

• Like 1

We are a fly in only outfitter in Northern Ontario.  Located in the Attawapiskat River area.  Now known as Gray Wood Outfitters, we were previously Eddie North Adventures.  I appreciate your post and concern for outfitters, it is nice to hear.  We feel for all the outfitters across the country, and many other professions, and businesses that have been hurt during these times.  Not looking for sympathy in any way but we do have openings this season and would love an opportunity to showcase what we have to offer. Our fishing and hunting area is incredible, and we have invested a lot into renovations and new equipment in our camps.  

All the best to you all during this upcoming season, and I appreciate the community approach to helping businesses.

Adam (Owner)

www.graywoodoutfitters.com

*if this violates your advertising policy please let me know how I can change the post. (new to the forum)

DJI_0019.JPG.1cf5288c7bcbe34aab27a8f0ae3213bf.JPG

• Like 3

Hi Adam:  We are kinda new also, but this group is pretty good and considerate.  There advertising is pretty reasonable but we just weren't aware that we are not suppose to advertise on here.  But totally understand, I was in touch with TJ and all's good he is willing to work with us.  Might be worth our while to work with him.  All the best for  you and your new adventure, in normal times it is the only place to be and in these times even more so, we just have to make those aware of what an Northern Ontario Adventure is worth.  

Thanks and contact Tj this group is a good one.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adam Wood said:

......we do have openings this season and would love an opportunity to showcase what we have to offer.

I am curious about owners and their specific situation. How was last year compared to this year and how is this year shaping up? You are up Cochrane way so would have less American clients?

So we are quite a best west of Cochrane. We fly in out of Nakina.  Last season (our first as new owners) we did not open until the end of August. We had 2 weeks of fishing and then our hunting season.  This season we are open for business and taking bookings. With the border closed and many others reluctant to spend money in uncertain times our bookings are not where we would like them.  We are offering a money back guarantee for this spring for our resident guests to assist in people feeling more comfortable booking. Our fishing is usually a good mix of residents and non residents.  

We are here for the long term and will make the best of a poor situation.  Again we wish the best to everyone this season.  

Adam

• Like 3

Love hearing from the owners. Keep those post coming. I look at each one. From considering a possible trip we are now going for sure and will book when we get our vaccination appointments. I'd like to get to at least Thunder bay and can see us staying at a 1/2 dozen places.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would be a good strategy for those who normally cater to Americans to start using social media and other means to shift their focus on securing Canadian guests. 

We stayed on the French twice last year. The lodge owner had some decent interest by using social media and word of mouth. I don’t know if they were booked solid but I believe they were quite steady. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman