New bass season in FMZ 20, Lake Ontario.

Dave Bailey

Anyone planning to take advantage of the new 'catch and release only' bass season, open until May 10th? May be a dumb question, as I imagine most of us will. By doing so we'll be taking part in a scientific experiment, answering the question; will it impact the fishery or not? I'm close to Frenchman Bay, so I'll be getting the canoe out when possible. 

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, Duckie said:

I'm curious if you are legally allowed to take a picture of your fish during this time. I would think so?? 

you are indeed not. This was actually clarified directly by the Ministry after a bunch of catch photo and release tournament style guys brought it up. The Ministry came out with the following statement

Dear Bass Tournament or Event Organizer,

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) recently announced changes to the Fisheries Management Zone 20 (FMZ 20) bass seasons effective January 1, 2021. New for FMZ 20, is a catch and release season for bass (smallmouth and largemouth) from January 1 to May 10.

Several tournament organizers have enquired about hosting catch, photo, measure and release events during the catch and release season.

Taking time to measure, weigh and photograph a fish in a strictly catch and release fishery is not permitted.

MNRF direction on what anglers must do with their fish when there is no legal possession limit is as follows:

“If an angler catches a fish that cannot be legally possessed (e.g., during the closed season, prohibited size, exceeds the catch and possession limits), the fish must be immediately released at the place and time of capture. This includes fish that may be injured during catch. This information is available to anglers on page 11 of the 2021 Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary.”

For further information on the immediate release provisions around catch and release seasons or competitive fishing in Ontario (generally) please contact:

Dan Taillon
Fisheries Section, Fish and Wildlife Policy Branch, MNRF
[email protected]
705-772-8748

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2021 at 10:12 AM, AKRISONER said:

you are indeed not. This was actually clarified directly by the Ministry after a bunch of catch photo and release tournament style guys brought it up.

Over a year later I'll reply. (procrastination is my strong suit) If you want a legal photographic record, have a video set up, and start recording before you get the fish to you. Alternatively, when you notify a buddy with 'fish on!', they can start snapping pictures or video of the process. As long as you're not holding it up for the classic shot, I don't see how this could be challenged. Might add that I agree with the law, and would follow it. 

17 hours ago, Terry said:

So now you can’t take a photo of a fish that doesn’t meet the slot restrictions or length restrictions ,lots of Muskie and walleye are in trouble 

Slot limits are far different than “catch and release only” seasons. Different descriptor. I think it even references “possession” when referring to the slot.

This is a quote

MNRF direction on what anglers must do with their fish when there is no legal possession limit is as follows:

“If an angler catches a fish that cannot be legally possessed (e.g., during the closed season, prohibited size, exceeds the catch and possession limits), the fish must be immediately released at the place and time of capture. This includes fish that may be injured during catch. This information is available to anglers on page 11 of the 2021 Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary.”

If an angler catches a fish that cannot be legally possessed (e.g prohibited size), the fish must be immediately released at the place and time of capture

the way I read it you can’t take a photograph of an undersized Muskie or Walleye.