Inexpensive musky lure box

kickingfrog

I’d been using Plano type boxes, but wanted a designated box for the lures and this was the option I went with. Three 10 foot vinyl downspouts and a Rubbermaid container.  Ten inch jakes and believers are the longest I have and 11 inch sections fit in the box. Now to fill those other spots...

885536BF-72DC-497B-90CB-ACDD8997A32C.jpeg

• Like 3

Good for you! I have the same type of idea, but as a Dutchmen I am too cheap to cut up some perfectly good downspout. Instead, I drilled holes around the top lip of the rubbermaid and just hang the lures from these holes. If you are ever down Guelph way let me know, I have a bunch of lures that I was planning on selling...just too lazy to post them on line anywhere. Will be looking at 50 cents on the dollar (ie double tens for 15-20 bucks, cranks for 10 to 15 etc)

Thanks for sharing.  Looks like a great kit. 
I use Plano trays as well and big lures are not easy to put in and I always find they get jammed up and eventually crack the box.   
Years ago I remember seeing a musky show (maybe the Next Bite) and the kit the used for trolling was a 5 gallon pail with lures hanging down inside the bucket.  In my mind it was a good alternative as well

Cheers

Andrew 

5 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Good for you! I have the same type of idea, but as a Dutchmen I am too cheap to cut up some perfectly good downspout. Instead, I drilled holes around the top lip of the rubbermaid and just hang the lures from these holes. If you are ever down Guelph way let me know, I have a bunch of lures that I was planning on selling...just too lazy to post them on line anywhere. Will be looking at 50 cents on the dollar (ie double tens for 15-20 bucks, cranks for 10 to 15 etc)

I'd be interested to see the cranks If we ever get down to our friends in Tillsonburg.

Excellent my dear man, just excellent. Thinking outside the "box" for sure. My box cost me 100 bucks. The word "Musky" and "cheap" does not go together.

15 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Rizzo, if indeed you are that cheap you must close your eyes everytime you toss one of those Musky lures that feel like bricks and cost big bucks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a photo as it's up north, but I did the same thing with the tried and true milk crate. The one I used has a solid bottom, so I drilled drainage holes in it and it works just fine. Slightly cheaper than a Lakewood :)

My buddy used a similar tote but instead of downspouts he notched out the tote length wise and put 2in strip of wood wilth a million holes drilled into it down each side.    2 strips of wood fit along with all his muskie baits.   I swear there's 10k in that box alone, lol.   The strips of wood make really good use of the space.  I'll try to get a pic, it's kind of hard to explain.

When I got the muskie bug many years ago I went gung ho and bought the lakewood box and probably $600-800 in lures. Found myself using the same 4 or 5 baits continually so eventually left the box on shore and took the baits and rods already set up and a couple of extras.

Edited by John