Bad ice at Beaverton

Big Cliff

The tin boat is launching Monday morning!  I’ll be removing the tarp from my flip over and drying out the pop up on Sunday.  My most abysmal ice season in 30 years is officially over.  I am astounded that guys where trying trucks on the ice over the last few days.  While I feel for them, I can’t help but think there was some colossal misjudgment.

Edited by porkpie

Trucks on ice still? Are people nuts? The ice came on late, it has been crazy warm the past couple weeks and tons of wind. Recipe for disaster. I would be a little concerned about walking out to fish, parking a vehicle on the ice would not even enter my mind.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Trucks on ice still? Are people nuts? The ice came on late, it has been crazy warm the past couple weeks and tons of wind. Recipe for disaster. I would be a little concerned about walking out to fish, parking a vehicle on the ice would not even enter my mind.

It really is amazing isint it, people really are that stupid. I took a look at the ice a couple days ago and was like nope I’m done for this season. 

No doubt some of it is Corona related. I’m pretty sure that some people that have recently been trying trucks and minivans on the ice are probably really new to ice fishing.  Perhaps it’s even a new hobby this year for something to do.  I’ve been on the ice on a quad in plus temperatures many times and even gotten my boots wet getting off the ice on a bike on more than one occasion.  But I’ve been doing it a long time as have many here.  Knowing what I saw Ice wise from the start of this season until now, there’s no way many of us would’ve been caught out there in full size vehicles.  However if it was your first rodeo, and you read ice charts that show vehicles OK on a foot of ice, but don’t know the difference between a foot of crap Ice vs good ice and the effects of runoff etc I guess I can see it happening.  You would think at some point a warning bell would go off in the brain, but I have seen many examples of people absent that bell.

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 1

There has been more incidents this year I believe because of covid, with everyone stir crazy and a lot of newbies because it was something to do, there were quite a few tragedies in the first part of the season. 

Seeing the amount of water I saw in the ditches pouring into the lake it can wreck the shorelines and ice near to shore really quick. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rizzo said:

People are so cheap that they will risk theirs and their families lives to save the $30 parking cost. No joke

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

People are so cheap that they will risk theirs and their families lives to save the $30 parking cost. No joke

Wait til next season, now that Oro has closed their streets to parking and lots starting this year .Dec 1st to April 1st You will see more that will try to park on the ice.

448DB9C2-733C-4439-AD5E-4017407C9EE6.jpeg

Edited by misfish