Who and What can we believe today?

NO POLITICAL COMMENTS PLEASE

If someone passes on current news or tells me a fact I find myself asking where they got that story or fact from. In days gone by I would never doubt the veracity of the news or fact I had no doubt it to be true or at least close to the truth depending on with whom I was speaking to. Today, not so much. People must not have much to do in recent years other than to build fake websites and come up with fake news. Just the other day the son of a good pal called me to go online and Google %$^@ assasination attemp. I won't say who because that's how rumours start. I went to CNN because this is thier type of news and there was zippo, nada about this event. But online low and behold is a fake website for a major US media company that sure looked real to me, very, very real. A few years back before the US election a ferind of mine that is a very gullible guy asked me why Clintons were not in jail because they head up a pedofile ring that molests young children in a Pizzaria in New York, might have ben Ohio. This man isn't stupid, however is gulible and believes anything that someone bothers to print. I grew up at the same time, "If it's in the paper it must be true." I found out that wasn't true the 1st time my name hit our paper and even my own Father told me I must be guilty because it's in the paper.

Do you find yurself fact checking in these modern times? I sure do and find myself doubting print media often. Sad times where I'm concerned, just sad.

• Like 1

John, in the last four years, we have seen it all. Stoke the fire and people will gather and listen to stories. 
What happened to the time when you could put a dime in tray and take paper and that dime would not be touched. Today they take the box! Times are changing. there is no care for your neighbour’s well being. The decisions will affect is all in the future.

I was an avid news watcher, but today it’s only ONE story. Hour after hour. Gave it up. 
Hopefully our future will look brighter. 
A

• Like 2

You are both right gentlemen. The times they be a changin'. There are not news reports any longer. I strongly believe more and more in the Bildiburg group. The secret sociaty that runs the free world. M2B2, Manitoubass here on Ontario Fishing Community, please pass me your tinfoil hat. 

Sad news out of Hamilton for my our family. There is a report out of Hamiltons east end that 2 bodies were found this morning in a single family home on Woodbridge Rd. 1 block from where we grew up. One of the deceased was my youngest brothers closest freind age 60, and the other is unknown to us. We grew up together, the deceased is my late Fathers Godson. He has battled drug addiction for years. He leaves behind 3 sons, 2 of which are twins. Drug addiction effects so many beyond the addict. His Father was known as the "Chief" I'm glad he didn't have to live trough this. We spent hours talking politics while I helped he and my Dad make prochiutto. 

On 3/11/2021 at 10:00 PM, Crimsongulf said:

It seems to be very difficult to actually get news.  What we get instead of news is someone's opinion about an event.

Walter Cronkite is turning over in his grave.

Pretty much how the media works today

Harley Biker
 A Harley biker is riding by the zoo in Louisiana when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. 
 Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the cuff of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents.

The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch.

Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly.

A reporter has watched the whole event.  The reporter addressing the Harley rider says, 'Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.'

The Harley rider replies, 'Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger and acted as I felt right.'

The reporter says, 'Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page...So, what do you do for a living and  what political affiliation do you have?'

The biker replies, 'I'm a U.S. Marine and a Republican.'

The journalist leaves. The following morning the biker buys the paper to see news of his actions, and reads, on the front page:

U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH

That pretty much sums up the media's approach to the news these days

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 3/14/2021 at 10:39 AM, dave524 said:

Pretty much how the media works today

Harley Biker
 A Harley biker is riding by the zoo in Louisiana when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. 
 Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the cuff of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents.

The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch.

Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly.

A reporter has watched the whole event.  The reporter addressing the Harley rider says, 'Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.'

The Harley rider replies, 'Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger and acted as I felt right.'

The reporter says, 'Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page...So, what do you do for a living and  what political affiliation do you have?'

The biker replies, 'I'm a U.S. Marine and a Republican.'

The journalist leaves. The following morning the biker buys the paper to see news of his actions, and reads, on the front page:

U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH

That pretty much sums up the media's approach to the news these days

Ain't that the damned truth.  Sometimes for grins I will watch CNN, Fox and MSnbc for coverage on the same event  and it is all over the board.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 10:59 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

I don't believe anyone or anything now.

This is the safe approach.  I’ve been at news events and when I’ve read the reporting afterward it was laughable.  There is no credible media these days.  No matter what side of the table you sit on.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, knightfisher said:
Makes one wonder how much truth we have been told about the last year of hell, we have lived through.
Are we reading or hearing the truth, or a narrative?

Probably 1/4 truth being told now IF that.  What was this years (2020/2021 FLU season) death rate for the FLU?  Right?  none we hear about...  It's all how the media and others spin it.  Delete this if I crossed a line.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, GBW said:

2020/2021 FLU season

There was no official flu season in 2020/2021, because the case counts remained below the threshold required to declare the start of one:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/flu-influenza/influenza-surveillance/weekly-influenza-reports.html

Edited by MJIG
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 11:59 AM, DRIFTER_016 said:

I didn't mean that part sorry.

I meant in general. 

I know. The harm this thing we are using to communicate with right now will do more damage to society than any weapon of mass distruction. The Internet is the weapon of mass distruction I strongly believe. 

What I've been listening to are the local AM "all news" radio stations. Yes boring as hell most times; but you also hear what I believe is more truth than any other form of media. They don't seem to have the same competition as others do and don't glorify/embellish their reports. Most times they (if at all possible) will have a spokesperson for wherever/whoever the news story originates from. Give them a try, just don't blame me, if you fall asleep between reports. LOL

Dan.

Some of the comments remind me of a story in the news a few months ago.

A mother was having discipline issues with her daughter.  The daughter ended up being charged with assault when the mother took her cell phone away.  This was followed up by the daughter stealing a phone from one her classmates.  She was convicted on both accounts.

She was given the chance to avoid detention with conditions that included attending school regularly.  She failed to stick to this condition and rarely attended morning class or completed assignments.  Thus, she ended up to having serve time in a juvenile detention centre.

Do any of you remember the headline about the teenaged girl who was sent to jail for failing to complete her homework?  Yeah, that was her.