The Piebald Deer came back

lew

Some of you may recall I posted a picture last winter of a very uniquely coloured deer that was hanging around my backyard with her fawn. Yesterday afternoon she showed up again with another fawn so it was a real treat to see her again although she was back in the trees so I couldn't get a good picture but this one of her behind a shed isn't too bad.

Always nice to see critters that are a bit different from the norm.

First picture is from last year and the 2nd. one with the shed roof was yesterday.

P1040691 (1).jpg

IMG_0107.JPG

Edited by lew
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Weeds said:

Beautiful. If I recall last years fawn had some kind of injury. Did you ever see it again? 

Yeah, that little fawn had a nasty gash on her left side just ahead of her hip. I was never closer than 100' from her but looking thru binoculars it never appeared to bleed and there was never any blood around and it didn't seem to bother her at all and she could still run like the wind. I watched her for a couple months and she still seemed fine.....fingers crossed.

And thanks to the others that posted, good to hear you enjoyed the pictures.

My wife was out for her daily hike this morning and came across 2 small deer and one of them had similar markings to the one pictured above. They were just up the road from here so hopefully I'll get a picture of her.

I have no idea if this is hereditary or not but I'm guessing it is seeing as it's only a week since I saw the adult and only a short distance away. When I took that last picture she had a fawn with her but the baby had normal markings but I spose it's not uncommon for a deer to have more than one baby at a time.

Edited by lew