Stocking up early? Any out of stock issues?

I’m starting my shopping list and want to load up on gear early. I’m seeing stuff out of stock already. Not sure if it’s due to the severe product shortages we saw by mid season last year or not. 
every place I went to last year looked as if they were going out of business. Even the CT’s were totally gutted. 

anyone anticipating the same thing this year? 

7 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

What gives? We’re trucking along as normal except for pricing issues (industry) so why supply chain issues with recreational product? According to the (unbelievable) daily covid numbers in China, it should be business as usual. 
shipping lanes not open yet due to winter?

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

It's a real thing. Actually a REEL thing 😉

Many stores inventory were depleted last year with more people fishing.

This winter all stores booked much bigger orders to restock and prepare for another busy season. 

Add to the fact that there were n still are supply chain issues and shipping delays and you get the current situation.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:41 PM, Hack_Fisherman said:

I’m starting my shopping list and want to load up on gear early. I’m seeing stuff out of stock already. Not sure if it’s due to the severe product shortages we saw by mid season last year or not. 
every place I went to last year looked as if they were going out of business. Even the CT’s were totally gutted. 

anyone anticipating the same thing this year? 

I think you have started out a tad late.  This has been going on for over a year now.  Fishing & hunting gear, ammo, bicycles, boats & boating accessories, & athletic equipment are in short order and this is driving up prices.   

I am in the process of outfitting a new boat and have been buying up rods/reels, fishing tackle and boat accessories all winter because I had zero confidence that these items will be available come spring.  Some items I needed to order out of the US or on Amazon because I could not find it in Canada.  My first stop was Fishing World and/or Grimsby Tackle, then amazon, then I'm looking on-line (Canada or USA).  Not one item purchased from BPS or Cabelas.

- O'Brian Water Skis, Minnkota iPilot kit for trolling motor, 2 trolling rods and counter reels, planer boards, Navionics + card, snap weights, over $200 in lures and tackle, boat storage cover, rod holders (x4), new life jackets (x3), & a bow mounted fish finder.   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 410001661 said:

I think you have started out a tad late.  This has been going on for over a year now.  Fishing & hunting gear, ammo, bicycles, boats & boating accessories, & athletic equipment are in short order and this is driving up prices.   

I am in the process of outfitting a new boat and have been buying up rods/reels, fishing tackle and boat accessories all winter because I had zero confidence that these items will be available come spring.  Some items I needed to order out of the US or on Amazon because I could not find it in Canada.  My first stop was Fishing World and/or Grimsby Tackle, then amazon, then I'm looking on-line (Canada or USA).  Not one item purchased from BPS or Cabelas.

- O'Brian Water Skis, Minnkota iPilot kit for trolling motor, 2 trolling rods and counter reels, planer boards, Navionics + card, snap weights, over $200 in lures and tackle, boat storage cover, rod holders (x4), new life jackets (x3), & a bow mounted fish finder.   

I hear you. I’ve been ordering and accumulated a few k in boat goodies for this winters rebuild. Lots of waiting time and delays.

I figured that most things would have been replenished, but you might be well right. I watched a Scotty downrigger go out of stock on me yesterday right in front of my eyes...add to cart, oops. Too late!

19 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

What gives? We’re trucking along as normal (industry) so why supply chain issues with recreational product? 
shipping lanes not open yet due to winter?

A number of production facilities have been shut down, on and off.  Others, to provide social distancing, have reduced number of employees in plant at any one time.

• Like 1

Like you, I'm trying to beat the rush. I bought a bunch of stuff from Angling Outfitters, Cabela's, Sail, Fishing World and Canadian Tire already. Canadian Tire actually had a certain soft bait I couldn't find anywhere else. I picked up all sorts of flipping and EWG hooks, lines, and baits. Had to order tungsten flipping weights from China (way cheaper anyways). 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 11:59 AM, 410001661 said:

Same. I looked at new boats just after Christmas. I was lucky enough to find a brand new 2019 Lund that a dealer still had in stock.  Since then I've bought many of the things you listed because I had no confidence I'd be able to find them come spring. 

On the plus side, I discovered a few great fishing shops across Canada that I didn't know existed (and offer free shipping). 

3 hours ago, moses said:

Found some rapala jigging raps i was looking for at fishing world. Most colors are out of stock.

Lucky to find some. Most places are depleted or out of stock.

I saw lots of them at a local store here the other day

4 hours ago, Gravyboat said:

Same. I looked at new boats just after Christmas. I was lucky enough to find a brand new 2019 Lund that a dealer still had in stock.  Since then I've bought many of the things you listed because I had no confidence I'd be able to find them come spring. 

On the plus side, I discovered a few great fishing shops across Canada that I didn't know existed (and offer free shipping). 

Please feel free to share these shops!

The old saying “buy it cheap and stack it deep” doesn’t just apply to ammunition. There is a reason I have pegboard on the walls of my shop.  I haven’t had to buy anything other than fish hooks a few bags of lead and spawn mesh fora long time.  If I see a deal on something I regularly y use, I buy as much as I can reasonably afford.  

Edited by porkpie