Yes or No to boat bunk slides?

Raycaster

Just visited BP with burning gift cards in my pocket and noticed bunk slides $50.

I only have a 16ft aluminum non deep hull and its pretty light but I'm all in for anything that could save trailer time launch or hassle.

I've seen YouTube guys make them out if plastic cutting boards cheap but wouldn't you need Teflon or something? I know some PAM sprayed on the carpet bunks would slick them up but just wondering if anyone has installed bunk slides.

I did about 15 years ago and would do it again in a heart beat.  They are called Glyde Sliks, come in various lengths.  The only thing you have to be sure of, don't untie the crank line until you are ready to let it slide off.  Makes retrieval a lot easier too.  You could use puck board or uhmw plastic strips, make sure you countersink the screwheads.

• Like 3

They had 2 packs in stock (St. Catherines), one was $50 and the other $35.

I still want to repaint trailer but not looking forward to grinding the old paint/rust off. Another thread but looking into those cheap sand blaster hopper guns at Prin - Auto. 

5 hours ago, Raycaster said:

They had 2 packs in stock (St. Catherines), one was $50 and the other $35.

I still want to repaint trailer but not looking forward to grinding the old paint/rust off. Another thread but looking into those cheap sand blaster hopper guns at Prin - Auto. 

Waste of time and money. Wire wheel, paint with POR 15 or the Canadian equiv .(DOM # something) and tremclad topcoat. You actually want some minor rust on it for POR to grab to. It won’t stick to smooth sanded surfaces. (I know this from exp)

If you’re going to strip it bare, disassemble, send out for Chem dip or blasting then hot dip galvanizing...never paint again. 

though you’re probably not far off buying a new galv trailer...

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

BP gift cards are for tackle and fishing rods. not bunk slides

For me. a bit if wire brush to get the scale off and tremclad

How do you strip and paint a trailer with a boat on it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dara said:

How do you strip and paint a trailer with a boat on it

For his sized light 16',  slide the boat back about 2 feet, either use double stacked milk crates(or equivalent) on each side of the back of the boat so it just clears the bunks.   Then (hope you have some buddies) lift the front and pull the trailer out.  I did my 16' like that to put my Glyde Sliks on.

• Like 1

They secure on top of the carpet. They look like 3” x 18” slats of black plastic with countersunk holes to secure to bunks.  I guess you use 3 or 4 per bunk. Still cant get over why these wood slide better than wet carpet or if these would mark the hull.

BTW Dara, 2 new down-rigger rods came home with me so don't worry. Im biting at the bit for my second season on Lake Ontario. 

Hi..lol

ok, back to it

I have a 16' centre console and floor. Fairly heavy boat

I have never thought of trying to make it side easier off and on

I back up till it floats off and when getting it in I know what depth the carpet bunks need to be at to crank it back on easy

I can't see spending money on such things unless you are having real troubles