Well we finally did it

Big Cliff

For years now my son has been trying to convince me that having an Argo would make our lives easier.

Almost all our summer time is spent fishing small backwoods lakes and up until now we have had to tow a boat or rely on cached boats which often presented us with challanges. Sometimes we would spend an hour on our ATV getting there to find out the boat was already in use.

Another factor is that at 75 I am not as steady as I use to be so things like trying to wrestle an outboard onto a tinny by myself isn't nearly as much fun (or as safe) as it use to be. As a result I often ended up not going fishing unless my son was available to do the grunt work.

We have done a ton of research, read and re-read the specs, made wish lists then done reality checks and shopped, boy did we shop Lol. 6 wheel/8 wheel, tracks/no tracks, upgrade to the Scout, 650/700, carbonated/EFI, buy new or buy used....... so much to consider. It was tough (but fun) and in the end we decided that we wanted to bite the bullet and go with new. 

Yesterday I placed the order for two 2021 Argo Frontiers  650 6X6 with whinches and brush guards and two trailers so we can tow them where ever we want. We take delivery first week in May so we'll be all set for the opening of walleye.

Having the two units will give us a lot more flexability, I can head out fishing while he is at work and he can catch up in the evening, we can raft up and fish together or each check out different areas.... Can you tell I am excited 😊.

The property up North in French River is all set up, last fall we got the well and septic systems all back up and running so I can park the motor coach there for the entire summer if I want, no worries about having to go dump holding tanks every few days or get fresh water, no problem self isolating for this old man. 

2020 might have been a bummer but 2021 is off to a great start 🤗

• Like 9

Sounds perfect. I didn't know you could own just a property and have a well and septic system set up for RV use!! Is there hydro to the property as well? I also planning on retirement and looking for options other then sitting in a chair in Toronto!!

35 minutes ago, floater said:

Sounds perfect. I didn't know you could own just a property and have a well and septic system set up for RV use!! Is there hydro to the property as well? I also planning on retirement and looking for options other then sitting in a chair in Toronto!!

I did have a house there until about two years ago when that Parry Sound 33 fire happened. During the evacuation someone broke in, ransacked the place and torched it (no insurance). My son and I have spent the last two years cleaning up the mess and building a little bunkie but I have a 30 ft Winnibago coach with it's own 4KW generator and we have installed a small solar system in the bunkie so we are totally self sufficient 😊

• Like 2

Cliff, I assume you bought the bilge pump option?  And they have an option to mount the winch fore or aft, with a second winch assembly on the rear wall.

I'm on my third Argo, and fished out of the first one a fair bit.  You do NOT have much freeboard at the bow because the driver and motor are both in the front.  With two guys on the front seat it gets real dicey, especially if you get any waves.  You will also find that forward speed with just the tires leaves a lot to be desired, again especially with wind.  The outboard motor bracket I had on the first one worked well, but I no longer recall the max HP rating, maybe 4 HP?  Of course, you have to climb into the back of the hull to run the outboard.  I don't have the outboard bracket on my current Argo, and don't know if it would fit with the aft winch set-up.  I don't intentionally take this Argo into the water.

You might want to make sure your insurance covers you when you are on the water.  The policy I had for the first Argo treated it as an ATV when it was on land, and as a boat when it was on water, so I had coverage wherever I was.

Any questions just shoot me a pm, or if you'd like to shoot the breeze just pm me a number and good time to call.

Enjoy!  Argo's are fun!

Doug

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Ha, I remember the first one you got, you were just like youngster with a new toy attacking snowbanks on Base.

That's the one!  But I did discover that a tracked Argo doesn't actually go EVERYWHERE.  The day we bogged the Argo, then shoveled slush on Mountain Lake to make a path to get out cured me of that belief.