Ram 1500 Pentastar. Towing a boat.

porkpie

14 hours ago, porkpie said:

Thanks all for the input good or bad.  I’ve been pretty happy with my ford but just want something different.  I think I’m looking more towards the hemi in the warlock trim at this point.  

Get the yella one.:D

I was a Ford guy through and through. Had 3 F150's in recent years. Last two gave me sleepness nights. Both had V6 Ecoboosts. Between undiagnosed misfires and electronics that would go blank and reset while driving. I also know at least 3 friends who have had problems with 2018/2019 F150's with 5L. Huge oil consumption. I assume that Ford has fixed the issue with 2020/2021 models.

So, I went to the dark side. Bought a 2019 RAM Rebel with the Hemi. Love it so far. Put over 30K on it and not a squeak. Gas mileage around town is not quite as good as the V6 Eco, but with the trailer or boat on it's night and day. The twin turbos were forever kicking in on the Ford and mileage went down. On an East coast trip I was averaging around 25L/100Km.

Unless something unforeseen happens I intend to keep this truck 'till either it dies or I do...or, maybe a RAM TRX if I will the lottery..🙂😁

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Yeah the eco booms have been nothing but trouble for a couple friends that had them, and we had them in explorers at work and they went down often enough there too.  I’m still rocking the old 4.6 and it’s been a great combo.  Not tons of power but it’s been a reliable ride and tows anything I want to perfectly.  My buddy is on his second Coyote powered ford and hasn’t had any issues.  I’m surprised to hear that guys have had trouble but I guess anyone can make a lemon.  I always thought Ford was pretty good with 5.0’s.

On 3/13/2021 at 11:19 AM, porkpie said:

Yeah the eco booms have been nothing but trouble for a couple friends that had them, and we had them in explorers at work and they went down often enough there too.  I’m still rocking the old 4.6 and it’s been a great combo.  Not tons of power but it’s been a reliable ride and tows anything I want to perfectly.  My buddy is on his second Coyote powered ford and hasn’t had any issues.  I’m surprised to hear that guys have had trouble but I guess anyone can make a lemon.  I always thought Ford was pretty good with 5.0’s.

Yeah Ford was very aware that they had issues with Coyote 2018's. A couple of members of this board found out first hand. Some 5L's were burning a litre every 1000Km's. They seemed to get it under control in 2019.

• 2 weeks later...

To close this out, I have a 21 1500 classic Hemi Warlock in the driveway.  I like it quite a bit, although to get one in stock I had to get quite a few more options than I ever would have, it sure is nice having heated seats and auto start though.  So more stuff to break.  It was a sad day leaving the old F150 on the lot.  It was a good truck.  I couldn’t quite sell myself on the V6 although I nearly pulled the trigger on one with 3.55 gearing.  Here’s hoping it does well.  If it’s in the shop much during warranty I’ll be moving it along no doubt.

I'm dreaming of a Ram for my next vehicle.. I've never actually owned a pickup before but know many who have and those who own/owned Rams had few if any issues - with the V8.. but the one guy who owned an eco diesel did have major issues, so it seems like their Pentastar and V8 is fine.. just steer clear of the diesels... 

I had a 1997 Chevy 1500 that gave me good service and is one of my favourite body styles and drives of any 4x4 truck I’ve ever been in.  I had 11 good years out of my 2010 F150 that replaced the Chevy and I had very few issues.  So either way I really couldn’t say one was better or worse than the other.  Both where gassers.  I can’t speak much to the diesels but a buddy of mine did have a Ford 6 litre diesel circa 2006 that ate a couple of head gaskets and gave him some trouble.  He plowed with it and used it as a work truck though so it didn’t lead an easy life.  I thought I’d try the dodge this time and see what happens.

Edited by porkpie

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 2:57 AM, siwash said:

I'm dreaming of a Ram for my next vehicle.. I've never actually owned a pickup before but know many who have and those who own/owned Rams had few if any issues - with the V8.. but the one guy who owned an eco diesel did have major issues, so it seems like their Pentastar and V8 is fine.. just steer clear of the diesels... 

I have an 07 1500 with Hemi and 140,000kms. At 110k I replaced all of the ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, wheel bearings and serviced the calipers. New steering shaft to tighten her up and it felt like a new truck. 3/4 of parts were still good, but I needed an excuse to finally wrench on it.

Body is starting to show visible rust. Whatever, at 14 years old it's to be expected. 

Solid truck that gets worked hard. I will definitely buy another. 

10 hours ago, ch312 said:

I have an 07 1500 with Hemi and 140,000kms. At 110k I replaced all of the ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, wheel bearings and serviced the calipers. New steering shaft to tighten her up and it felt like a new truck. 3/4 of parts were still good, but I needed an excuse to finally wrench on it.

Body is starting to show visible rust. Whatever, at 14 years old it's to be expected. 

Solid truck that gets worked hard. I will definitely buy another. 

Owes ya nothing at 14!! Good to know...  they've won "truck of the year" three consecutive years... FWIW