Ram 1500 Pentastar. Towing a boat.

porkpie

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm kicking around the idea of a Ram truck...  I've been a Ford guy for the last 11 years, and before that had a Chevy.  Neither have owed me anything.  Is anyone here towing with the 3.6L pentastar V6?  I'm pulling 3500lbs fully loaded with gear and gas.  I will  never pull more than that unless it's a one off, and I won't be getting 2 footitis any time soon as this boat is as big as I'll ever need.  My starcraft is a bit of a kite with high sides, but the  4.6L I'm currently pulling with has always been plenty.  It looks like the Pentastar makes more HP and just slightly less torque than my current engine.  The furthest I'll tow the big boat is to North Bay on a semi regular basis, but I'm planning to leave my tin boat up there this summer so I won't pull my big boat up all the time.  Otherwise I travel weekly to lake Erie or Ontario which can be up to  a solid 2 hour run for me.  I'm also looking at the Ford 3.3.  I won't buy an ecoboom as we had a bunch of failures in the vehicles at work so that's out entirely.  When I'm not towing it's a daily driver with a 20 minute commute, and the most I'll haul otherwise is an ATV in the back or a double sled trailer from time to time.  I'm questioning the need for a V8 with the tech that's available.   Anyway, thoughts on those who've towed with the current generation V6's are appreciated.  Input from mechanics on these engines and drivelines also appreciated.  I think this is fishing related as my primary concern is towing my fishing boat!

Edited by porkpie

Towing my 17,5 foot princecraft with mine - no issues. Served me well for last 5 years. Terry advised me on that truck. Fuel economy is pretty good too. I am doing around 14 litres per 100 km from Innisfil to French river and back. 

Edited by Cosmos

Thanks fellas, I’m not worried too much about mileage while towIng.  It’s all the rest of the driving where it  matters.  I’m just concerned that it will pull the weight without issue.

Edited by porkpie

3 hours ago, Terry said:

I would say I have towed that much weigh with mine. And had no problems towing. However all the great gas mileage goes to hell in a hand basket when towing    

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler.

The 3.6.

I like the motor but yes towing does drop the gas mileage.

A couple to three extra litres per 100 k isn't unusual.

And the Wrangler isn't the greatest mileage to start with.

I pull a trailer with a snowmobile or an atv, Sometimes a tent trailer.

All you guys with the 3.6 engine; don't let the guy changing your oil filter, over torque the filter cap. The torque spec is only 18 Ft. Lbs. Over tightening the cap could cause the lower housing to crack; creating a fairly large oil leak; that will run from the crack, under the intake manifold and then run out the back of the engine, socking the transmission bell housing. This filter housing is also part of the engine oil cooler assembly. There is no repair for this other then replacing the assembly. The lower intake manifold has to come off to get at it. Parts and labour adds up to about a Grand. 

Sorry for the hijack; but just a heads up, for you Mopar guys.

Dan.

• Like 3

I'm towing my 16'8" Renegade with my Ram 1500 V6 and it does a great job - I hardly know it is behind the truck.  Plenty of HP and torque to do the job without ease - plus it is nice to store the cover and gear in the back of the truck while out fishing.  Before that I was using my wife's MDX and that was a dream to pull the boat but a lot more $$.  

5 hours ago, greyhawk said:

The new Pentastar v6 is rated at 6730 lb towing capacity. You should not experience any probs with this vehicle.

The reason I'm asking for real world examples is because rated towing capacity from the manufacturer seldom lives up to expectations.  And while weight wise my boat is no issue, that sucker has high sides and a big profile so it's a real kite.  Anyway, thanks all for the input.  By the sounds of it shouldn't be an issue.

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

By the sounds of it shouldn't be an issue.

13 hours ago, misfish said:

you can leave it here and that will help on the mileage a bit. I promise to wave wash it on the weekends. :Gonefishing:

Awesome,I will prepare a spot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D

I had a 2012 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6 and I wasn’t that impressed with the motor. Had some electrical issues with it. Might have been a jeep  thing! I have had my 2017 ram with the 5.7 for the last 3 years and I love it. I’ve towed my 26’ camper trailer with zero issues and what you tow would be nothing for it. And I’m impressed at the fuel mileage I get with a full size with a v8. 

Probably the only saving grace with my Eco diesel is that I have to be honest, towing my 18 foot glass skeeter with a 130 full of gear and 100 litres in jerry cans of gas etc etc im literally still getting 12mpg and depending on the drive that can dip into the 11's...

Highway driving im consistently in the 9's and city its higher 10's.

Ive towed a 26 foot glass cabin cruiser with it and it really didnt have any problem with it. It was heavy, and my mileage suffered but it handled it without issue. That weighs about 7000lbs so your boat will be quite all right.

Now...for the bad, its a friggin dodge and what does that mean? Well it means that my windows are always de-railed (one nearly fell out on the highway recently) no matter how many times they have been fixed, I randomly have problems with the electronic shift control...that seemingly vanish. The entire EGR cooler system in my truck has been broken since I bought the truck in the summer of 2016. You can read my other posts about this but basically if I knew a lawyer id be suing FCA because after taking my truck to them literally 5 different times complaining about the exhaust dumping into the cab when I had my heat on and my truck eating coolant since new which progressively got worse and worse over time, I fell out of warranty and took it to a proper diesel mechanic who immediately told me my EGR cooler was cracked (and obviously has been since brand new) the diesel Dr's were the ones that ended up telling me that my EGR cooling system was actually under recall. 

Add this onto my turbo couplers blowing off multiple times randomly etc etc 

I forget the rest...long story short Dodge, you fooled me once, shame on you...youll never fool me again.

Edited by AKRISONER

You need to fully delete those Ecodiesels.    I think the lowest mileage I'll see in my Duramax is when I'm towing the 5th wheel + boat (About 12mpg US)   Problem is the most I'll see is maybe 17 unloaded, lol!    It is what it is.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BillM said:

You need to fully delete those Ecodiesels.    I think the lowest mileage I'll see in my Duramax is when I'm towing the 5th wheel + boat (About 12mpg US)   Problem is the most I'll see is maybe 17 unloaded, lol!    It is what it is.  

Pain in the butt that the companies doing those flashes are being threatened with law suits now. I’m looking at the new odb2 flashes now available to get mine finally done. It’s long overdue.

8 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Pain in the butt that the companies doing those flashes are being threatened with law suits now. I’m looking at the new odb2 flashes now available to get mine finally done. It’s long overdue.

The companies making the flashers are the ones under fire right now, although you can bench flash these ECUs.   Lots of guys out there that can rip everything off these engines and retune them.