Covid 19 and Canadian Border closing

We often seem to have trouble getting the vaccine shipments we're scheduled for, so the government (Ontario) decided to at least give everyone their 1st shot and then once that's done we'll work on the 2nd.

I saw on the news this morning that 10,000 people in Toronto who were booked to get their shot this weekend have been cancelled because they don't have the vaccines available.

Sad that a country like Canada has to depend on everyone else to supply something as important as this but we just don't make it ourselves but that's just my opinion.

The U.S. loaned us 1.5 million doses (pfizer I think) and we'll just returned them once we ever get ahead of the game.

18 minutes ago, lew said:

The U.S. loaned us 1.5 million doses (pfizer I think) and we'll just returned them once we ever get ahead of the game.

The U.S. loaned Canada 1.5 million AstraZeneca doses because the U.S. has not approved that vaccine for distribution in the U.S. as of yet. They passed some to Mexico as well.

The difference in vaccine rollout in Canada vs US is pretty stark. One of my clients lives in Pennsylvania, is in his mid 40's, and his entire family of 4 was fully vaccinated about 3 weeks back. Meanwhile, one of my Ontario friends who has a family of 5 is still battling a full-family COVID outbreak, which they think may have come from a pizza delivery. My buddy, who is in his mid 40's and in great shape, is about 2 weeks in, and had to call the ambulance 5 or so days ago due to respiratory problems.

Edited by Ronzo

Sorry to hear it's such a challenge up there. In Ohio yesterday, they had open vaccinations (no appointment necessary) at a drive-up site and were calling for people on the news to "come down to get your shot right now...no waiting...no appointment necessary." Hopefully we'll have over-supply soon (if we don't already) and those doses can be sent north ASAP. 

Update this morning for US. 173 million doses administered 75 million fully immunized. Really cant see why with proof of immunization people cant travel internationally. I know its not 100% safe but dealing with immunized people highly unlikely to start another wave anywhere. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pochucker said:

Update this morning for US. 173 million doses administered 75 million fully immunized. Really cant see why with proof of immunization people cant travel internationally. I know its not 100% safe but dealing with immunized people highly unlikely to start another wave anywhere. 

The main thing most people don't understand is that even with a double shot, you can still get it but won't suffer as much, however you can still pass it on to others.  And that comes right from CDC.

• Like 1

Yes you can still get it. Chances greatly reduced of that happening. Never going to be perfect. Knowing that i'm probably not going to catch it and if I do chances of getting deathly ill are slim , is good enough reason for me to start living my life again. If countries would concentrate on getting their own people vaccinated this would reach tolerable levels very quickly. Always going to be a group that will not get vaccinated and that's their prerogative. But obviously that group will be doing most of the suffering going forward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fisherman said:

The main thing most people don't understand is that even with a double shot, you can still get it but won't suffer as much, however you can still pass it on to others.  And that comes right from CDC.

This thing is about people not dying/having major complications.

you can’t be scared of getting sick, we never were before. I get the flu shot every year and try to avoid contracting influenza. Unfortunately I’ve also caught a strain one year that was not covered by the shot, I got so sick that I was one dose of tylenol not lowering my fever away from calling an ambulance. 

I don’t expect nor should anyone else expect to live in fear the rest of our lives, we just need to get vaccinated, grind this thing out and get our numbers back to reasonable levels. Covid and especially these variants are still killing people upwards of 3-4% of the time. Numbers that are wayyyy too high. Young people are now being hospitalized and ventilated with the newer variants. 

what scares me most of all though is that the anti vax segment of society will become the permanent breeding ground of deadlier and deadlier variants until things become so sever and dangerous that young healthy people start dying en masse like during the Spanish flu. 

that might be the only thing that will finally get people to clue in though is when their kids start dying a lot.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 8