Jump to content

Covid 19 and Canadian Border closing


Recommended Posts

  As a frequent fisherman to Canada from USA Im really really hoping this years trip is not canceled again. Im 70 yrs old and obviously dont know how much longer ill be able to travel. Last year I finally had my dream trip scheduled to upper Sunset Country.*been wanting to go since I read about area in OutDoor Life as a boy* I get completely the closing of the border to some degree. But one would think that a recent negative test would be sufficient to cross.  Now with the great mobization of USA logistics  (70+ million USA citizens already vaccinated versus less than 2 million Canadians )one would think proof of vaccination would suffice also. (Both Myself and wife already vaccinated and daughter should be by July). Here's hoping cooler heads suffice and something can be worked out this year. Here's hoping I get to visit the great country of Canada again this year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Power to you and I can understand the frustration of not being able to cross the boarder. Not saying you are or not a possible carrier of covid; but if Canada opens its boarders, how many carriers of the virus could cross and take the virus to places that have had very little cases of? Come visit and leave hundreds infected; sorry stay home and fish your own area! Canada, its people, lakes and fishery will (hopefully) always be here; come when the all CLEAR is signaled.

Dan.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pochucker your preaching to the wrong crowd.

I hope I'm wrong but I see nothing in the works that will allow us to cross the border anytime soon, some think a September crossing into Ontario is on the horizon.

As soon as we are allowed I will load up and hit the road, my favorite camp owner in NWO will be waiting for me 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Whopper said:

As soon as we are allowed I will load up and hit the road, my favorite camp owner in NWO will be waiting for me 

Any of our US visitors are always welcome; we just need to not sped this frigging virus anymore then it has. I have a friend in Boston that I would really like to go and see. He's getting up there in years (mid 80s) and hopping I'll get a chance to see him as he's getting a bit feeble.

Dan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have very close friends in Pennsylvania who holiday with us up here every June but sadly they missed it last June and there's every possibility we won't get together this year either.

We ALL want this nightmare ended but as Dan said we don't want to push things and open the gates too early and we all end up back tracking.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I sincerely hope your able to make your trip.  Just as we'd like to make the fall steelhead seasons south of the border!  Not all Canadians see this the same way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I helped promote Ontario to our southern friends for nearly 24 years. They were probably 75+ percent out our target audience. Nothing would please me more to see our American friends come and visit. But lets be careful, it could turn on us. Our cases are going down and vaccinations have started. I would say hold on and see what happens. There will be a lot opinions on this. Canada has had it almost under control since the beginning. We in Ontario have followed the rules I hope. I have along with my family. Last year I had to cancel a cruise out of FT Lauderdale. 
Hopefully this will work out by the end of summer. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year I ended up having to come home from Myrtle Beach two weeks early because of this virus and talk of closing the border. This winter I ended up having to stay home and at this point I doubt I will be able to head South for the upcoming winter, there is just too much uncertainty with all the varients that seem to be showing up. We are not even sure how effective these vaccines are long term, now there is talk that you might have to get shots every year like the flu shot...... Having to give up a winter in the South or a fishing trip in the North seems like a small price to pay when world economies are in a shambles and people are out of jobs and could end up loosing everything they own. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our situation is different in that the wife is a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport so we can cross in pretty much any situation.  To my knowledge the current situation with a land crossing is take a test at the border (Windsor) go to quarantine at the cottage and take another test in 10 days.

 

Hopefully all of that hoopla will be in the rearview by May.

 

We have both had the first Moderna shot and will have the second next week.

 

Time for folks to get on with their lives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

Our situation is different in that the wife is a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport so we can cross in pretty much any situation.  To my knowledge the current situation with a land crossing is take a test at the border (Windsor) go to quarantine at the cottage and take another test in 10 days.

 

Hopefully all of that hoopla will be in the rearview by May.

 

We have both had the first Moderna shot and will have the second next week.

 

Time for folks to get on with their lives.

Vaccinations in Ontario have focused mainly on congregate settings (long term care homes, for example) and front line health care workers and first responders.
 

The general population isn’t receiving them in very many places yet. I think the wide-spread vaccinations of the over-85 group in the general population (rather than in congregate care) is expected to ramp up on or after March 15. Vaccinations for younger groups will be in 5-year successive groupings after each older age group has been offered their shot.  They may jump right down to the 60-65 age group for the Astra-Zeneca vaccine and work down from there with that one.

Right now, if a person in Ontario were to receive their 1st shot tomorrow, their 2nd shot (and maximum immunization) could be as far away as early July. Ontario has decided to delay the second dose by up-to-4 months and use the currently available doses as 1st shots for more people.

I would not be expecting the hoopla in Ontario to be ended by May.  The majority of people you encounter in Ontario in May will not have been vaccinated, unless something really changes with the pace. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup there’s 0 chance that it’s open by may. By may the hope is that people 60+ will be vaccinated. That’s hardly enough to protect the general population.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be a skeptic but I expect by the time the whole population is vaccinated it will have mutated enough that a new vaccine will be required and we have to start a new round, welcome to the new normal.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pochucker said:

One thing we know about this from the beginning -NO one knows anything about this whole situation. Anyone who says different is delusional. This is uncharted territory, best anyone can do is make educated and uneducated guesses. ItalicKeyboard shortcut Ctrl+I

Uhm... WHAT!

HH

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 5:54 AM, MJIG said:

Vaccinations in Ontario have focused mainly on congregate settings (long term care homes, for example) and front line health care workers and first responders.
 

The general population isn’t receiving them in very many places yet. I think the wide-spread vaccinations of the over-85 group in the general population (rather than in congregate care) is expected to ramp up on or after March 15. Vaccinations for younger groups will be in 5-year successive groupings after each older age group has been offered their shot.  They may jump right down to the 60-65 age group for the Astra-Zeneca vaccine and work down from there with that one.

Right now, if a person in Ontario were to receive their 1st shot tomorrow, their 2nd shot (and maximum immunization) could be as far away as early July. Ontario has decided to delay the second dose by up-to-4 months and use the currently available doses as 1st shots for more people.

I would not be expecting the hoopla in Ontario to be ended by May.  The majority of people you encounter in Ontario in May will not have been vaccinated, unless something really changes with the pace. 

Wow, I was not aware that the wait was so long in Canada.  I have already received both shots.  The wife took her first one on 03/04 and will take her second one on 04/01.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2021 at 5:57 PM, Pochucker said:

  Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not advocating "open" borders. But with the advances in testing and vaccines certainly some relaxing can be done as I outlined.

 

Part of the problem is that you can be fully vaccinated and still be a carrier and infect others that are not.  No thanks. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

Part of the problem is that you can be fully vaccinated and still be a carrier and infect others that are not.  No thanks. 

There is no such thing as a risk free world. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Crimsongulf said:

There is no such thing as a risk free world. 

There is a big difference between the known and the unknown.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John said:

There is a big difference between the known and the unknown.

I have run across very few things in my 66 years that was a dead solid lock with zero unknowns.  Every time that I leave to go to the grocery store there is no guarantee that I won't be in a fatal auto accident.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was year anniversary of Dr. Fauchis speech saying there was no need to wear a mask lol. Year later still way to many unknowns about the virus and the vaccines. If your waiting for 100% no risk you have a long wait.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With around  18% of Americans vaccinated, and around 5% of Canadians (having received single dose in both cases), I don't see the border being opened for non essential travel for some time. Possibly the fall, but I wouldn't bank on that. The VOC are the real wild card and game changer here.

Edited by woodenboater
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...