Huts

Fisherman

I know of at least 3 huts that went from Innisfil to the other side LOL! the local tackle shop made a post about which outfitter has which hut on the opposite side of the lake. 

Wind was crazy, took my wife over 4 hours to get home from Vaughan with all the accidents and terrible roads.

14 hours ago, canoecarrier said:

When you make a thread looking for someone's misfortune lol. That's too bad.

Not a thread for misfortunes but a thread to tweak those that have a hut out there and might not have thought about a hut going for a long slide.

• Like 1

Fisherman, were you with me the time on Simcoe, mid 80's, Big Bay Point I think, that we saw half a dozen huts go screaming past us and explode on the pressure crack a mile or so away?  I was with somebody in the BBRGC ice shack when the wind came up like a banshee.  We had no cleats, and there was no walking without being blown away.  We ended up cutting pieces of the carpet, tying them to our feet, and wetting them down so we had some purchase on the ice.  It was fairly crazy....

Another time on Quinte, during a walleye derby, we were out in a well-anchored ice shack when the wind hit 100 km per hour.  If one man left the shack to take a leak, the shack started lifting off.  My buddy and I saw a number of shacks scoot past us, and one of them had a guy INSIDE - he waved at us when he went by!  One of the derby participants was being blown along the ice and couldn't stop, so he stuck his foot down an open ice hole and was eventually rescued by another guy in the derby.  Another crazy day - and the current was taking our HEAVY jigs down on about a 45 degree angle in about 20 FOW.

Wind is not the friend of the ice angler..........

Doug

• Like 1

Yup, wasn't out that day but remember the story.  Similar to the one when the crack went through right under the hut and I was climbing over Marcel to get out the door.  Scared the poop out of me, pretty funny at the time.  The other year  when people had to get rescued, it took me over an hour and a half to walk back from the hut area in Gilford back to shore,  3 steps forward, 2 back with the ice going up and down.

10 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Similar to the one when the crack went through right under the hut and I was climbing over Marcel to get out the door. 

There were four of you trying to get through the door at the same time.  The MOST excited was Mac, and I bet he had a racing stripe in his underwear afterwards.

• Haha 1