Gussy Going For It!

AKRISONER

For those of you interested, Jeff Gussy Gustafson of lake of the woods is leading the bassmaster elite in Knoxville Tennessee on day 3 of 4.

he’s already got a limit on day three fishing winter pattern smallmouth in the Deep South! Really awesome stuff.

Only one other canadian has ever won one of these events. To win an event in the south for a canadian makes it even cooler. Gussy even said during his weigh in interview after day 2 that he has been waiting for years for the right conditions and lake for an opportunity to fish the way he is, which is the same way he’s dialed in on them early spring on his home lake.

you can watch the coverage live all day here

https://m.bassmaster.com/video/bassmaster-live

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Whopper said:

I have a real problem with him being able to come down here and fish when I can't come to his country to fish.

Anywho good for him

Big difference...it’s his job. He’s not pleasure fishing. They travel and quarantine and then have stayed down there fishing the elites for a month now.

travel Isn’t restricted for business purposes

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

His profession is a moot point. You and him have options that aren't afforded to me. You or your fellow Canadian could get on a plane fly down and pleasure fish for a month if  wanted too and turn around and go home, quarantine for 14 days and he's good to go. 

Meanwhile you have outfitters in NWO and else where that will be lucky to survive with no tourism in sight.

Edited by Whopper
Added comment

1 hour ago, Whopper said:

I have a real problem with him being able to come down here and fish when I can't come to his country to fish.

Anywho good for him

I guess that's something you'll need to bring up to your local member of government?

A local posted on bass boat central that there’s always fish there. They are clearly wintering there and stacked up. You gotta hope that something catastrophic doesn’t happen to make the fish disappear on him on championship Sunday.

a 7lb lead helps a lot that’s for sure

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillM said:

Talk about a dominating win.   Nice job.   surprised no one else was fishing that pattern.

Zaldain tried on day 1 he was actually at the spot before gussy and zeroed

they said to win that tournament exclusively with smallmouth was impossible

• Like 2

The Globe and Mail is not the place you'd expect to find stories on bass fishing but there ya go. Marty Klinkenberg writes about Gustafson's win. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-jeff-gustafon-reels-in-100000-catch-down-south/?utm_medium=Referrer:+Social+Network+/+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

I think Klinkenberg also wrote something about urban fishing around Toronto, last year.

A few years back the Globe's Cathal Kelly wrote a side splitting piece while riding shotgun with Ike Iaconelli. will post the link to that laffer after I search for it. fwiw, I  met Cathal and he is so far from who one would expect to cover the Bassmaster, bespoke trench coat, tailored suit, nice leather shoes...

Edited by woodenboater