Interesting Truck Option, lifesaver during an outage

dave524

OK, that grand is on top of the pricey, I assume, sticker price of the hybrid truck , not the regular gas version. Still for a contractor that needs power tools off grid , sure beats one of those power inverters looking at the stuff it can power.  https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-f-150-powerboost-hybrid-features-and-specs/

It is somewhat interesting that we all have a big giant engine parked in our driveway yet we’re expected to buy a generator specifically for providing power to where we are. You’d think a simple outlet on all vehicles would be an easy thing to put in. Enough power to heat a room to stop the pipes from freezing. Heck I’ve got a Diesel engine in my driveway the thing can idle for days on hardly and fuel 

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota Highlander And other hybrids have auxiliary power options for camping. Can’t wait to see what the electric F150 can do. And the hummer is coming back in pick up form with a plus equivalent horsepower. 

I recall reading a new story how during the ice storm in Quebec a decade ago or so, they put diesel locomotives in the city centres and use them to power the city through inverters. 
They dropped them in the street

On 2/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, AKRISONER said:

It is somewhat interesting that we all have a big giant engine parked in our driveway yet we’re expected to buy a generator specifically for providing power to where we are. You’d think a simple outlet on all vehicles would be an easy thing to put in. Enough power to heat a room to stop the pipes from freezing. Heck I’ve got a Diesel engine in my driveway the thing can idle for days on hardly and fuel 

So why don't you just drill a hole and put in a plug on the side of your diesel engine then. You got this.

My 17 Silverado has a 110 outlet; but the inverter is only 150watts max. Which is about as useless as teats on a bull. My little 4" angle grinder wants 840 watts; so it won't run off of this inverter. I've only used it the one time while at a fishing lodge, when the hydro went out. That meant no TV for the night. LOL So I tried plugging in the satellite receiver and a TV into the truck, via a heavy duty extension cord. The truck's inverter was able to run them; but plugging in a lamp with a single 40watt bulb with the TV and it kicked the inverter's breaker off. I connected my oscilloscope to the inverter and I'm not sure why it didn't blow up that sat receiver. The wave form on the scope was something I've never seen before; it was so dirty. I've been thinking of installing a 3000watt inverter, connected to a secondary battery. That battery would be connected to the trucks charging system via a Voltage Sensing Relay. The VSR will isolate the two batteries; allowing me to draw from the secondary battery only. Once the truck is started and the alternator brings main battery voltage up to Approx. 13.5 the VSR will turn on allowing the secondary battery to be recharged.

The Relay is only 45 bucks and would be good to install one on a boat. No more manual switch to isolate the starting battery; all done automatically.

VSR.jpg.ea602465482e16d90c9de31e3dc00524.jpg

Dan.  

1 hour ago, DanD said:

My 17 Silverado has a 110 outlet; but the inverter is only 150watts max. Which is about as useless as teats on a bull. My little 4" angle grinder wants 840 watts; so it won't run off of this inverter. I've only used it the one time while at a fishing lodge, when the hydro went out. That meant no TV for the night. LOL So I tried plugging in the satellite receiver and a TV into the truck, via a heavy duty extension cord. The truck's inverter was able to run them; but plugging in a lamp with a single 40watt bulb with the TV and it kicked the inverter's breaker off. I connected my oscilloscope to the inverter and I'm not sure why it didn't blow up that sat receiver. The wave form on the scope was something I've never seen before; it was so dirty. I've been thinking of installing a 3000watt inverter, connected to a secondary battery. That battery would be connected to the trucks charging system via a Voltage Sensing Relay. The VSR will isolate the two batteries; allowing me to draw from the secondary battery only. Once the truck is started and the alternator brings main battery voltage up to Approx. 13.5 the VSR will turn on allowing the secondary battery to be recharged.

The Relay is only 45 bucks and would be good to install one on a boat. No more manual switch to isolate the starting battery; all done automatically.

VSR.jpg.ea602465482e16d90c9de31e3dc00524.jpg

Dan.  

A man with an actual clue suddenly appears lol 😂 

Here's how I'd wire it. This should work on any 12 DCV system; if you think you might want 110 ACV to run whatever type of ACV item that is with-in the inverter's capacity and not drain the starting/main battery. The red switch at the top of the diagram, is to connect the secondary battery to the main battery. That's so if the main battery goes dead, closing that switch would give DC power from both batteries, to hopefully start the motor/engine.   

Dan.

1512111802_VSRWiring.JPG.d5b092f32e24527184db20f4002c96b6.JPG

1 hour ago, Crimsongulf said:

I don't want to hijack at all, but are whole house generators very common up there.  They are pretty common down here on the Gulf coast.  We run a 20KW Kohler 3 phase LPG and it ran for three days after Sally.

I know in my area, 100 miles north east of Toronto, they're quite common and I probably know at least a dozen people on my road alone that have them. I installed mine nearly 11 years ago and would never be without one again.

For anyone in the country on wells and pumps I'd say it's some of the best money you could spend.

Edited by lew
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, lew said:

I know in my area, 100 miles north east of Toronto, they're quite common and I probably know at least a dozen people around me that have them. I installed mine nearly 11 years ago and would never be without one again.

For anyone in the country on wells and pumps I'd say it's some of the best money you could spend.

It actually reduced my homeowners insurance bill.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:53 PM, lew said:

I know in my area, 100 miles north east of Toronto, they're quite common and I probably know at least a dozen people on my road alone that have them. I installed mine nearly 11 years ago and would never be without one again.

My old man’s house actually has an entire separate panel for when they switch to generator power. 

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

My old man’s house actually has an entire separate panel for when they switch to generator power. 

We use a automatic transfer switch that came with the generator and all of it was installed when we built the house.  We have never had an issue and (knock on wood) have never run out of LPG.