Vehicle battery

You need to look for a group 35 battery (External battery size and post configuration). The next thing to look for is the cold cranking amps (CCA) . Your CRV needs/wants a minimum of 440 CCA for starting power. Also check what the reserved capacity (RC) is of the battery. RC is what the battery voltage would/should be after a two hour drain of 25 amps (Headlight left on) and not fall lower then 10.5 volts. 10.5 volts will still get you started as long as everything else is equal. The higher RC the better. Please only start comparing pricing, after you know that you're comparing apples to apples. There are a lot of batteries out there that look the same to the eye, even from the same manufacturer. Check the specs on the battery you decide to buy. If you have any other questions; please ask. If I don't know the answer; I'll reach out to my contacts in the automotive field and get you an answer.

Dan.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

Here in the states there are only a few companies that make car batteries, and they " brand " them for other sellers.

100%. You are correct there's only a few battery manufacturers 

That's my point; check the stats on the battery, not the name.

Don't fall for the loneliest repair guy; like the Maytag commercials. LOL 

Dan.

OK---some follow up comments and questions:

1. even the cheapest battery seems to have more than 440 CCA.  The cheapest Motomaster has 55o
  2. The ratings seem to be given in minutes after a 25A drain that the batt will still re-start the car. (I guess i was expecting to see 'voltage after a 2hr drain at 25A listed.) the highest I saw listed at CTC was 100 min. I found many of the other sites very quirky so I did not find any ratings for a suitable battery that would be avail locally.
  3. Why are the Optima batts so much more expensive?

Canadian tire AGM batteries are made by east penn deka

i did a pile of research on this tracing private label batteries back to the manufacturer.

east penn is widely agreed upon to be the best manufacturer of batteries. 

as mentioned pay attention to the cold cranking amps and amp hour ratings. The warranty on motor master AGM is full replacement for varying lengths of time depending on level of battery you purchase. No pro-rating, no questions. It’s by far the best warranty in the industry. After a season running them in my boat I can attest to how powerful and awesome they are.

• Like 1

I currently have a Motomaster AGM battery in my Honda Pilot and it has been the best battery I've ever had in a vehicle. No corrosion of the posts like the flooded lead acid Motomaster it replaced but the most impressive thing is it's cranking ability in cold weather (a big plus when you live where the air hurts your face). I've forgotten to plug my vehicle in a couple of times since I got it a few years ago and it still turned my vehicle over quickly even at temps nearing -30. Flooded batteries labour in the cold turning over very slowly. That difference alone could be the difference between getting home or being stranded. I will never have another non-AGM battery in my vehicles. Worth every penny!!!!

• Like 1

By the way, I went from a flooded interstate battery in my boat to the Motomaster ultra AGM (yes I went all out) the thing quite literally made it sound like I installed some kind of super magneto in my boat. It turns over like machine gun fire now.

Edited by AKRISONER

• 2 weeks later...