Found My New Outboard

DRIFTER_016

those giant boats with 12000000000 horsepower always make me laugh because their top end is rarely over 70mph. Theres a point where the weight and drag/hull design cant gain anymore speed.

Hull matters so much more than power once you get going over 70mph. Thats why bullet bass boats will do over 100mph while a ranger struggles to get over 80 with the same motor.

Speaking of going fast, wanna see something terrifying? 

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

those giant boats with 12000000000 horsepower always make me laugh because their top end is rarely over 70mph. Theres a point where the weight and drag/hull design cant gain anymore speed.

Hull matters so much more than power once you get going over 70mph. Thats why bullet bass boats will do over 100mph while a ranger struggles to get over 80 with the same motor.

Old enough to remember when tournament BASS boats were limited to 150 horse and manufacturers were badging 150's very conservatively for the market.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 8:44 AM, AKRISONER said:

Diminishing returns is true for cars as well. It’s expensive chasing that extra 5mph. 

Hull design is all about compromise and trading speed for comfort. Guys post those ridiculous “my boat does 80mph loaded and handles 4 footers easily” lol Bull 
40 years of fishing Gbay, Erie and Ontario... can’t say I’ve ever seen a Bullet. Allison’s and Chargers, yes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Diminishing returns is true for cars as well. It’s expensive chasing that extra 5mph. 

Hull design is all about compromise and trading speed for comfort. Guys post those ridiculous “my boat does 80mph loaded and handles 4 footers easily” lol Bull 
40 years of fishing Gbay, Erie and Ontario... can’t say I’ve ever seen a Bullet. Allison’s and Chargers, yes. 

There’s a guy in my town that actually did a full refurb on a gambler...kinda weird, the guy just left the thing out in shambles, uncovered through the winter, batteries laying in the driveway a stainless prop laying on the ground in his garden. Kinda funny like a hidden gem, I’d walk by and see the prop and laugh cause if people only knew how much that prop was worth to the right person...anyways I’d walk past it every day walking my dog and at one point was honestly gathering up the courage to leave a note to the guy saying “hey I’d like to know more about the boat and whether you’d like me clear up the space in your driveway” to me if the pro xs on the back ran I could easily sell my skeeter and find myself in a 20 foot gambler with a pro xs and be up money.

this plan quickly folded when all of a sudden the console was ripped apart and compartment doors were missing. I wasn’t sure if he was gutting it or what. But then all of a sudden a ultrex with livescope showed up on the front of it and then all of the compartment doors came back re-carpeted. The guy totally refurbed the thing and it’s beautiful. Oh well that was the end of my dream lol

58 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

There’s a guy in my town that actually did a full refurb on a gambler...kinda weird, the guy just left the thing out in shambles, uncovered through the winter, batteries laying in the driveway a stainless prop laying on the ground in his garden. Kinda funny like a hidden gem, I’d walk by and see the prop and laugh cause if people only knew how much that prop was worth to the right person...anyways I’d walk past it every day walking my dog and at one point was honestly gathering up the courage to leave a note to the guy saying “hey I’d like to know more about the boat and whether you’d like me clear up the space in your driveway” to me if the pro xs on the back ran I could easily sell my skeeter and find myself in a 20 foot gambler with a pro xs and be up money.

this plan quickly folded when all of a sudden the console was ripped apart and compartment doors were missing. I wasn’t sure if he was gutting it or what. But then all of a sudden a ultrex with livescope showed up on the front of it and then all of the compartment doors came back re-carpeted. The guy totally refurbed the thing and it’s beautiful. Oh well that was the end of my dream lol

I love the look of the old Gamblers. The sleek nose section jutting out and the low profile console look awesome. Those things can run too! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Nice. Could land a plane on that front deck. 

You know you have absurd space when you are like, to hell with it, I want to mount the TM straight to reduce air drag hahaha

the stance of that boat is just absolutely insane to me. Ahhhh if money was no object eh? Lol

Edited by AKRISONER

7 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

You know you have absurd space when you are like, to hell with it, I want to mount the TM straight to reduce air drag hahaha

the stance of that boat is just absolutely insane to me. Ahhhh if money was no object eh? Lol

Check out the Bassboat Restoration section in that other place I showed you. It's nuts what some guys can do to older boats. I mean, strip them down, separate the top cap right off, and refinish the entire hull's gelcoat including a colour change. It's quite impressive. Do a Gambler search too.

59 minutes ago, Duckie said:

I bet with that 250HP that boat could get 100 MPH

nope, they will do 80 comfortably though with a passenger and tournament load. Gambler/Sterling hulls are basically designed to not lose any performance with load. So whether you are by yourself or with your tournament partner and all of your gear you barely lose any speed. There arent too many 100mph hulls on the market. Bullet is the main one, and the ones that get to 100 are strapped with either tuned/modified 250's or 300+

The other company on the up and up is ballistic boats. They now have a standard package boat with a 300 and the owner put a 400 on his.

Edited by AKRISONER