Motor opinions

huey graphite

I'm sure this topic has been discussed numerous times over the years but I'm looking for current opinions on outboards. I'll be buying a new boat soon and the package comes with a 90hp Merc. I've heard many guys who favour Honda and Yamaha. Years ago I owned a 14ft Lund with a 20hp Yamaha and in 12 years didn't have a single problem with it and I wasn't very good at doing regular maintenance on it. Changing the package from a 90hp Merc to a 90hp Yamaha would come at an additional cost. Your thoughts?

2 hours ago, huey graphite said:

the package comes with a 90hp Merc. 

I've said it before but I spose it's worth repeating here.

I bought a new 90 HP Merc 4stroke back in '99 and drove it for 10 years and put a ton of hours on it and the motor was absolutely perfect the entire time and never needed a single repair. I sold it to my bud after 10 years and he he put another pile of hours on it and drove it for another 6 or 7 years before it needed it's 1st actual repair.

Yes, I'd recommend a 90 Merc.

I bought a new 150 Yamaha when I sold the Merc and drove it for 7 years and again it was absolutely flawless just like the Merc.

Yes, I'd recommend a Yamaha.

I do all my own maintenance on a regular basis and that certainly helps keeping anything working.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Honest question to the club here

who here is someone with a bad evinrude or mercury story? I personally am

and then who here is someone that has a bad Yamaha or Honda story? I own both, but I have nothing bad to tell lol

A few years back my neighbour bought a legend with a Merc, first day out had to get towed off Lake Simcoe, put another merc on it and didn't get much further.  Then he went with an Evinrude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2005 Yamaha F90 has almost 2000 hours on it, runs great, always has. BUT, at about the 3 hour mark it was completely disassembled and rebuilt due to it pissing oil everywhere! What did I get for my trouble? $200 in Yama-bucks and a pissy attitude from the (owner) dealer!

DON HYDE MARINE in Hagersville.

Edited by Pigeontroller
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Pigeontroller said:

My 2005 Yamaha F90 has almost 2000 hours on it, runs great, always has. BUT, at about the 3 hour mark it was completely disassembled and rebuilt due to it pissing oil everywhere! What did I get for my trouble? $200 in Yama-bucks and a pissy attitude from the (owner) dealer!

DON HYDE MARINE in Hagersville.

That is common description of the service you can expect at that marina. 

On 2/7/2021 at 10:57 AM, huey graphite said:

I'm sure this topic has been discussed numerous times over the years but I'm looking for current opinions on outboards. I'll be buying a new boat soon and the package comes with a 90hp Merc. I've heard many guys who favour Honda and Yamaha. Years ago I owned a 14ft Lund with a 20hp Yamaha and in 12 years didn't have a single problem with it and I wasn't very good at doing regular maintenance on it. Changing the package from a 90hp Merc to a 90hp Yamaha would come at an additional cost. Your thoughts?

Ok, step one is do your homework. Each brand has motor classes they do well in and some not so good. This is true for every manufacturer; no exceptions. So my advice is don’t shop on brand alone. Look at hp size, price and service availability before deciding. 
Also remember people tend to pump the tires of what they bought with their own money and what they currently own. So use an average of all opinions. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

I bought my boat new in 1991 with a 90 hp Merc.

The only issue I had with it was the carbs had been incorrectly set at the factory. Once that issue was taken care of it ran flawlessly up until I pulled it off the boat and replaced it with a Merc 115 4 stroke in 2013. The 115 has been perfect other than an issue I had due to water getting in the gas tank when my auto bilge switch stuck and killed the battery causing the boat to partially submerge at the dock during a storm. Certainly not Mercs fault.

Have run Mercs, Yammies and Honda's at the lodge I worked at. Both the Mercs and Yammies were great. The Hondas ran great but the lower units were not as robust as the others. At a remote lodge this can be a detriment as getting replacement lower units can be difficult. Mercs and Yammies easily take a whack on a reef that would smash a Honda lower unit.

Don't get me wrong, the Mercs and Yammies do get some damage (usually a sheared off skeg and destroyed prop) but the Hondas end up with chunks of the housing missing and lower unit oil covering the water.

Personally I have no issue with either Merc or Yammie.

Buy either and you'll be happy.

FYI Suzuki's are also a good choice.

As said pick the brand with the best service centers in your area.

• Like 4