Cold front moved in, bite turned off.

Big Cliff

Well Saturday on Simco was a much slower day. As I had expected that cold front that moved in Friday made a big difference in just one day. We worked hard and tried a variety of baits and techniques but best we could do for the day was 6 keeper perch. It was still wonderful to get out there and I am really loving having someone else worry about maintaining the hut and all and me just being able to relax and fish 😊.

Thursday we caught a burbot and decided to try it, OMG was it ever good! We went on Youtube to research cleaning and cooking them and got some great ideas. We decided to try a couple of variations for cooking it and our favourite was cut into chunks like scallops,  tossed in fishcrisp, and pan fried in oil. Never again will burbot be released 😁

• Like 6

I have never done well on a cold front for perch Cliff. So now that I'm retired and can pick whatever days I want to fish, I can avoid those days. A burbot meal is still on my bucket list. I caught one back in the late 70's when we used to rent huts for overnighters with Floyd Hales out of Beaverton. Didn't have a clue back then what it was and released it. Over 40 years of chasing perch on Simcoe and I never caught another one. It will be going in my belly if I do get another one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Cliff said:

Well Saturday on Simco was a much slower day. As I had expected that cold front that moved in Friday made a big difference in just one day. We worked hard and tried a variety of baits and techniques but best we could do for the day was 6 keeper perch. It was still wonderful to get out there and I am really loving having someone else worry about maintaining the hut and all and me just being able to relax and fish 😊.

Thursday we caught a burbot and decided to try it, OMG was it ever good! We went on Youtube to research cleaning and cooking them and got some great ideas. We decided to try a couple of variations for cooking it and our favourite was cut into chunks like scallops,  tossed in fishcrisp, and pan fried in oil. Never again will burbot be released 😁

Caught burbot on Nipissing early January and did the same. Was great, now I'll keep burbot every time..😁😁😁

Edited by gino
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I decided to pass on today as I figured the cold front here would shut things down too.

Things like molecular movement!!!! 🥶 🥶 🥶

spacer.png

When you once said they could store the Pfizer vaccine right on the porch, I took it is a joke, but that -69 windchill is pretty darn close!