Penn 209. Drag upgrade.

glen

12 hours ago, Sinker said:

Theres drag on a 209? LOL

I've never Messed with it. I use 2 of them for leadcore. I hate them. 

S. 

I learned how to fish for Lakers using lead core and gang trolls. Still my favorite way. First reel I bought was a 209 which I still own. Problem was that it would only hold just over 8 colours which of course meant I couldn't reach deeper waters. So I bought a 309 the next year that would take 13-14 colours, if you recall the lead core spools back then came as 2 attached ten colour spools that the store could separate. I also have a Penn #49 deep sea reel with close to 20 colours on it, no level wind on that one you just tilt the reel as you reel in. All of my Penns I always make sure to back the drag off after use, they still work ok.

20 hours ago, Sinker said:

Theres drag on a 209? LOL

I've never Messed with it. I use 2 of them for leadcore. I hate them. 

S. 

haha you I bought a used one a couple years ago so I could have 6 rods going when fishing St. C with a couple buddies. I keep hoping that rod won't go off...probably have to stop the boat, maybe even reverse to get the fish in

• 2 weeks later...

OMG ... I LOVE them (the older ones) ... I have at least 6 of them ... with a little care and maintenance they last forever ... I run lead core while fishin for deep lake specks ... and 30lb test for giant pike with 10" Jakes at 12 ft off the riggers ... and of course at 30-60 FOW for Lakers ... I only bring a spinning reel for casting :)

I think my average cost was in the $30 range off ebay ... some where 20 years old when I got em .. and some I've had for 20 years .... guess Im old school :)