No more Chumming

Fisherman

3 hours ago, chessy said:

so does that mean that filleting fish on board a boat and throwing them over into lake is now illegal 

This new regulation is under the "Possession and Use of Bait" section of the regulation so I can't see how it would preclude you from disposing of 'offal' into the lake as it was done in the past.  

Edited by G.mech
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, LefroyFisherman said:

I wonder then if I'm no longer allowed to change out the water from my minnow container? Usually every couple hours you should dump the water out and then put fresh water in.

Somewhere in those new regs I'm sure I saw something that noted it was okay to change water for livewells, which is pretty much the same as a minnow bucket.

Found it:

(3) Paragraph 1(cool.gif does not apply to water that is taken from the waters where the person is fishing, used in either a recirculating device attached to or forming part of a fishing vessel or a moveable container holding bait or baitfish, and deposited back into the same waters or within 30 m of those waters.

Edited by Fisherman

13 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Somewhere in those new regs I'm sure I saw something that noted it was okay to change water for livewells, which is pretty much the same as a minnow bucket.

Found it:

(3) Paragraph 1(cool.gif does not apply to water that is taken from the waters where the person is fishing, used in either a recirculating device attached to or forming part of a fishing vessel or a moveable container holding bait or baitfish, and deposited back into the same waters or within 30 m of those waters.

Makes sense.

Seems like more rules for everyone to be confused about and misinterpret. Lol 

2 hours ago, G.mech said:

This new regulation is under the "Possession and Use of Bait" section of the regulation so I can't see how it would preclude you from disposing of 'offal' into the lake as it was done in the past.

Reference is made to "fish parts" so regardless of the title or section to which this stupid new rule belongs, it seems to indicate that dumping fish guts is now illegal.  Hopefully we will see intelligent enforcement of this.................

Possession or Use of Bait

• 28 (1) No person shall release or deposit, or attempt to release or deposit, into any waters, or within 30 m of any waters, any of the following:

• (a) live or dead bait or baitfish, including fish eggs, gametes or parts; or

• (b) the water, soil or other materials in the container used to hold the materials set out in paragraph (a).

• (2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of plant-based bait.

• (3) Paragraph 1(b) does not apply to water that is taken from the waters where the person is fishing, used in either a recirculating device attached to or forming part of a fishing vessel or a moveable container holding bait or baitfish, and deposited back into the same waters or within 30 m of those waters.

As G. Mech states this section only refers to baitfish.  There is no reference to your catch

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mitch seguin said:

Possession or Use of Bait

• 28 (1) No person shall release or deposit, or attempt to release or deposit, into any waters, or within 30 m of any waters, any of the following:

• (a) live or dead bait or baitfish, including fish eggs, gametes or parts; or

• (b) the water, soil or other materials in the container used to hold the materials set out in paragraph (a).

• (2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of plant-based bait.

• (3) Paragraph 1(b) does not apply to water that is taken from the waters where the person is fishing, used in either a recirculating device attached to or forming part of a fishing vessel or a moveable container holding bait or baitfish, and deposited back into the same waters or within 30 m of those waters.

As G. Mech states this section only refers to baitfish.  There is no reference to your catch

THANKS!

Evidently, the OOD article is in error when it said "fish parts" (see original post).  This is indeed good news. 

Doug

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_hemorrhagic_septicemia

"

Transmission

VHSV can be spread from fish to fish through water transfer, as well as through contaminated eggs,[3] and bait fish from infected waters.[41] The emerald shiner is a particularly popular bait fish in the Great Lakes region, and is among the species afflicted.[42]

Survivors of the disease can become lifelong carriers of the virus, contaminating water with urine, sperm, and ovarian fluids.[1] The virus has been shown to survive two freeze/thaw cycles in a conventional freezer, suggesting both live and frozen bait could be a transmission vector. In Europe, the gray heron has spread the virus, but it does so mechanically; the virus is apparently inactive in the digestive tract of birds.[2] "

They may be trying to prevent the spread of this? If the virus can survive 2 freeze thaw cycles in a conventional freezer? In pictures here of Lake Erie fish die offs there always seems to be Emerald Shiners in the pics, better not to use fish or parts for chum?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, chessy said:

your already breaking the law if you are cleaning a fish on the river bank.. and putting guts in river .... 

Ever watch the flocks of seagulls following a commercial fishing boats in on Lake Erie, we are talking more than a few fish guts there

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

If you make a statement like that, please put up a link to support it.

36. (1) No one shall

(b) leave or deposit or cause to be thrown, left or deposited, on the shore, beach or bank of any water or on the beach between high and low water mark, remains or offal of fish or of marine animals;

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, chessy said:

36. (1) No one shall

(b) leave or deposit or cause to be thrown, left or deposited, on the shore, beach or bank of any water or on the beach between high and low water mark, remains or offal of fish or of marine animals;

Thanks, however doesn't say about throwing offal into the water/lake.

Edited by Fisherman

On 2/12/2021 at 12:58 PM, dave524 said:

Ever watch the flocks of seagulls following a commercial fishing boats in on Lake Erie, we are talking more than a few fish guts there

Do they actually clean those fish on the water? I believe the ones here take them back to their facility for cleaning? Undersized fish, non targeted species are thrown back? and some may not survive?

• 1 year later...