Putting things in perspective.

DanD

I grew up at the tail end of the Polio epidemic, there were 3-4 kids I went to school with that had varying degrees of disability from it and others with family members laying in a iron lung somewhere. You didn't hear anyone complaining about waiting in line at the neighborhood schools for whole families to get their shots to prevent  it.

Smallpox vaccine? You got you shot or no school for you?

• Like 2

The timeline is almost bang on my Grand Father on my Fathers side. Born In Italy some how   he found himself in a British uniform fighting in western Europe. He took shrapnell to the skull and had to be one of the first to have a metal plate inserted toreplace bone. Fast forward to the late 30's and he then found himself in a prisoners uniform in the internment camp in Pettiwawa Ontario as a combatant of the Crown. Internment Camp, sounds much better than a POW prison or consentration camp, much much better. He spent the duration of the war as a guest of the King. I never got it and my Father wasn't offering any answers whatsoever to my questions. I did get some answers from a gentleman in his mid 60's that I met at 18 when I started at the plant. He was a kid when they took him to what was CNE stadium then eventually shipped off to Camp Pettawawa. Oswaldo Giacomelli, Google him, some intersting reading and he was featured in a Doccumentary titled Barbed Wire and Mandolins. We became friends and he taught me much about the sport we all love here. He told me more than a few stories, some I wish I never heard some I really am glad he told them about my Grand Father I met just twice. 

20 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

I grew up at the tail end of the Polio epidemic, there were 3-4 kids I went to school with that had varying degrees of disability from it and others with family members laying in a iron lung somewhere. You didn't hear anyone complaining about waiting in line at the neighborhood schools for whole families to get their shots to prevent  it.

Smallpox vaccine? You got you shot or no school for you?

Born in 1950, same here, at least 4 polio survivors ( braces , wheelchairs, withered limb ) in my small rural 3 room school of about 75, and those were the ones that made it. Of course back then, were had Connaught Labs to develop and manufacture vaccines for us and the world.

edit: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2020/03/11/the-public-lab-that-could-have-helped-fight-covid-19-pandemic.html

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1