Otter XTH Pro Cabin setup issues

squirrel761

I bought an Otter XTH Pro Cabin ice shelter last year and I have a heck of a time setting it up. I have watched all the videos and nothing works. Could it be I’m taking it down and folding it up wrong? Instructions say to open the roof first but all the hubs seemed jammed and I can’t. After trying to line up the corners and spreading things out it still take a lot of pissing around to get the first side to pop out. After that it’s fine. Actually broke a roof pole this morning trying to set it up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Some are a be atch . My new one ( not an Otter ) but sets up and breaks down so easy. I had to fight with my eskimo that I had. Way to tight IMO. Once you have all the walls and roof collapsed, try letting the hut just fall and relax. That might help with your breaking down. You want all the nob sections together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SKqgtjx9K8

Here's an out of shape fellow setting it up. Hope it helps. I find that when pulling the straps on my different make one that both when setting up and taking down I need allow the rod hubs to rotate a bit the way they want to settle down. Never force anything since doing so can magically twist rods around forcing you to remove rods and replace correctly. I broke a rod and now have a spare just in case which is what I also suggest.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll try anchoring a corner and see if that helps. I usually let it fall how it wants when I fold it up. One of the corners usually wants to fold over to the opposite corner as soon as it's down. I let it find its " comfort zone " then fold the rest in. I saw in the video comments where one guy said to not follow the directions and don't open the roof first. He said he had broke a couple of poles following the instructions. I now agree with that. I went to order a replacement pole and it's $12.00 but $40.00 to ship. That's U.S. so I may as well order 2. I hate it when the shipping is triple the item cost.

13 hours ago, squirrel761 said:

I went to order a replacement pole and it's $12.00 but $40.00 to ship. That's U.S. so I may as well order 2. I hate it when the shipping is triple the item cost.

I've seen lots of guys posting about using those driveway markers as replacement poles for pop ups. Cheap fix.

Lol I just went on a fb ice fishing group and one of the Admin just posted the instructions using those fiberglass driveway markers. "Measure twice and cut to size. Remove old pole. Cut off and drill out the pole from the hub portion. Add two part epoxy and insert the pole. Pop it up and let sit till hard. So pole doesn’t twist after setting. "

Edited by smitty55
  • Like 1

I'd be pegging down two opposite corners. It helps to have some tension opposite from where the roof, or wall is being pulled out. 

I wonder about cutting a hole in one of the walls, and putting in a stove jack so you could run a small wood stove in there, if one was not moving daily though...

Edited by woodenboater

I really should of taken a video this morning . Setting up in the wind and taking down . I have always done the roof first then pop one wall,tether then pop out the rest. Take down the same. This morning in 50km gusts,I was able to take down with no issues leaving the last wall attached to a bungie. Like I said in my other post,I just let the hub lay on it,s own. Never fight with it as I learned before, or you will snap a pole. They are calling for some wind in the morning Sunday. I will take a video of set up and take down .

I also do not worry about getting it wrapped tight to fit in the bag. That is more work then needed. I just roll it up, and wrap with a bungie cord. Done done done. Bag is for storage IMO .