PERCH St Clair

RookieReeler17

Hi Everyone - would like to thank anyone who messaged me about the crappie inquiry at Rondeau. 

Another species Id like to get into are PERCH. I searched the thread “st Clair fishing” lots of musky posts.  But when does the perch season really start ? Should I go out Mitchell’s Bay or Lighthouse Cove? 
Where I fish on Erie the perch are really slowing down because of the walleye. But hey I’m not complaining haha. 

Thanks for any information-

There is ice out there believe or not, there was 3-6" were we fished, gotta be careful and spud your way out, there was even snowmobiles and quads out on the weekend ( crazy f**krs ) If you not that eventerous or familar with the area and ice in general please don't go out, if you do don't venture out past the pack ice. No ice is safe ice so please use your better judgement and if you do go out please do not go alone and bring all the necessary safety gear. Jigging the DR for walleye is my favorite time of year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FILTHY OAR said:

There is ice out there believe or not, there was 3-6" were we fished, gotta be careful and spud your way out, there was even snowmobiles and quads out on the weekend ( crazy f**krs ) If you not that eventerous or familar with the area and ice in general please don't go out, if you do don't venture out past the pack ice. No ice is safe ice so please use your better judgement and if you do go out please do not go alone and bring all the necessary safety gear. Jigging the DR for walleye is my favorite time of year.

No I don’t Ice fish just looking for advice/pointers when the ice is gone 

Well no ... the walleye have definitely impacted the perch. If you look at the stats over the last 20 years in Lake Erie you can see the difference. Some places on Lake Erie might thrive better than others... but I live down near Wheatley/Leamington (worked for the MNR too) ... the perch are definitely dropping. 
Basically for the walleye, if the commercial guys + all the anglers catch their limits for the season (Lake Erie/Ontario side) ... it would be less than 1% of the population. Crazy stat yes but last year the MNR + a charter from Longpoint I believe put on a seminar about Lake Erie fish population. 

also if you speak to the commercial guys down here, they do nothing but complain about; 

- walleye + red drum (sheepshead). 
- perch numbers are down 

So it’s a catch 22 ... can’t have both striving like the walleye.  But on the plus walleye smash gobies too - which the numbers don’t really show a decrease unfortunately. Eventually the walleye will drop and perch will rise again.  But for now it’s some of the best walleye fishing in the country/NA.