Musky Lure Colours

kickingfrog

Musky Lure Colours  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Your most successful colour for musky lures? No right answers and almost limitless options and opinions but this is something I struggle with. For most of my fishing because on "clean" water I tend to favour natural pattern. That's my bias, but for musky I know lots go with patterns and colours that are anything but natural and I do as well but I still have a strong desire to go natural.

• Natural-dark
    • Natural-light
    • Bright-orange
    • Bright-chartreuse
    • Bright-yellow
    • other

Figured I'd share the lure that was most productive for me and Johnny this season. Hooking 8-10 musky on the Niagara and LSC. It isn't a lure I've seen in other muskie boxes. It's not a bait that I would have purchased personally, but Johnny had one, and I tried it out and landed a muskie on the second cast! I went on to get another muskie on the first cast a couple of weeks later, and then another on the second cast at night fishing LSC. We each bought 5 more!

Live Target Golden Shiner - 8 inches, 5oz - Comes in gold and silver blue (the blue worked at LSC) and costs around $20 CAD

It has a cool magnetic hook system, with super strong hooks despite their smaller size. We ended up replacing the back hook with bigger hooks on a few baits. The action is a slight wobble, with quick tail vibrations (very little body roll compared to other soft baits like Shadzilla and Restless Riders. It casts very well and can be fished at speed in shallow water, or nice and slow in deep. The hook system is pretty good in the weeds too! The only down side is the tail get ripped off on several baits, more so than other soft baits I've used.

180619_GSS200704_1000x.png

Edited by mepps

2 hours ago, mepps said:

Figured I'd share the lure that was most productive for me and Johnny this season. Hooking 8-10 musky on the Niagara and LSC. It isn't a lure I've seen in other muskie boxes. It's not a bait that I would have purchased personally, but Johnny had one, and I tried it out and landed a muskie on the second cast! I went on to get another muskie on the first cast a couple of weeks later, and then another on the second cast at night fishing LSC. We each bought 5 more!

Live Target Golden Shiner - 8 inches, 5oz - Comes in gold and silver blue (the blue worked at LSC) and costs around $20 CAD

It has a cool magnetic hook system, with super strong hooks despite their smaller size. We ended up replacing the back hook with bigger hooks on a few baits. The action is a slight wobble, with quick tail vibrations (very little body roll compared to other soft baits like Shadzilla and Restless Riders. It casts very well and can be fished at speed in shallow water, or nice and slow in deep. The hook system is pretty good in the weeds too! The only down side is the tail get ripped off on several baits, more so than other soft baits I've used.

Evidently they make them in a couple of hook configurations?  https://www.tackledirect.com/livetarget-gss200ms704-golden-shiner-swimbait.html

10 hours ago, mepps said:

Man did these guys produce this past season. One of those fluke purchases that turned out. I would recommend getting some “Mend It” to repair the tails after. Like Mepps said they don’t hold up well after an encounter with a Gator.