Musky Lure Colours

kickingfrog

Musky Lure Colours  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Your most successful colour for musky lures? No right answers and almost limitless options and opinions but this is something I struggle with. For most of my fishing because on "clean" water I tend to favour natural pattern. That's my bias, but for musky I know lots go with patterns and colours that are anything but natural and I do as well but I still have a strong desire to go natural.

• Natural-dark
    • Natural-light
    • Bright-orange
    • Bright-chartreuse
    • Bright-yellow
    • other

No right answers and almost limitless options and opinions but this is something I struggle with. For most of my fishing because of "clear" water I tend to favour natural patterns. That's my bias, but for musky I know lots go with patterns and colours that are anything but natural and I do as well, but I still have a strong desire to go natural. Anyway, it's January.

1 hour ago, kickingfrog said:

I've got a couple (dozen) lures that haven't produced fish and that is what I've considered painting them. Jail bird stripes on one and skunk on another. Yellow/black is the other I've considered.

I mention black & orange above and that was for large spinnerbaits that I ALWAYS started my day with if I was casting and caught me more fish than any other bait I had. 

Your right about yellow & black though Rob, that's another good combo. 

One of my favorite trolling baits was a yellow & black jailbird coloured 10" Believer and my best twitch bait was a yellow & black jailbird coloured Double "D". The Double "D" doesn't come in that colour from the factory but I painted mine and they really produce a lot of fish. I had other colours but none worked like the yellow & black combo

Edited by lew

All my believers are natural colours (my bias). I do have a 8 inch silver with black. I've thought of painting one of them but can't bring myself to do it and the new ones come it some really nice colours that I can't bring myself to paint over either. How does that go? I don't have a tackle addiction. I have a storage problem.

9 minutes ago, Pigeontroller said:

Colour of bait least important part! Except maybe on LSC...lol

No doubt. Depth, action, speed and size are more important, but once that's all been sorted there is only so much that can be debated in the boat. 'Cept Marry Ann/Ginger. lol

Edited by kickingfrog

I needed to be able to select 2! On St Clair for me "natural light" has been great. But that same lure on other bodies of water hasn't done much. On those other bodies bright orange has been the ticket. Since that one "natural light" bait has probably caught around 40 fish (and it still keeps going!) I had to go with that. Funny thing is, I have bought new versions of the same bait, and they just don't produce as well. Send out the old chomped up one...it is only a matter of time.

7 hours ago, Rizzo said:

I needed to be able to select 2! On St Clair for me "natural light" has been great. But that same lure on other bodies of water hasn't done much. On those other bodies bright orange has been the ticket. Since that one "natural light" bait has probably caught around 40 fish (and it still keeps going!) I had to go with that. Funny thing is, I have bought new versions of the same bait, and they just don't produce as well. Send out the old chomped up one...it is only a matter of time.

Maybe I should have asked what worked best in your boat Rizzo.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer between natural light, natural dark or bright anything.  Kinda like Dax eludes, as long as you're fishing your "A" game you should be confident enough to know that the lure catches fish, or has a good chance, under certain conditions.

I have given black/orange a try in many shapes, size and depths and its never produced for me! That said, Black/yellow has been solid! Most fish caught last season were on natural gold colours baits, but I never had success with gold in previous years. I always stick with the 2-3 colours that worked best in the past, and if they arent working that day, I change it up.

Edited by mepps

On 1/30/2021 at 2:40 PM, lew said:

You'll never go wrong with black & orange.

I’ve caught lots of Muskies (not as many as you that’s for sure lol), but I’ve never caught a single one on black orange and I ALWAYS throw a black orange lure but it never catches. 

I fish Kawarthas and natural lutes just work better for me.

sometimes maybe it’s just confidence. But I do well with “match the hatch”. And I go darker or brighter depending on sun and waves. More natural the calmer and brighter is; brighter the windier and cloudier it is. 

I more often then not start off with some black/dark coloured baits when either trolling or casting, those I have the most confidence in. If that doesn’t work I usually switch to something more natural. If I’m fishing with someone else we usually run opposite colours and different size baits. 

• Like 1