Beaverton opening up next week

Big Cliff

31 minutes ago, DanD said:

Does anyone know whether TimΒ has his bombardiers out,Β or is he using sleds to haul people out to the huts? Why I ask is, should I bring Sally up orΒ my quad?

Sally

thumbnail_IMG_0157.jpg.77b937adfbd3033df90b760b4f091494.jpg

He hasn't started putting huts out yet, from what I understand he is starting this weekend. Since they can only take people out one hut at a time, I expect they will be using sleds. Quad or Sally? I guess it would depend on how much snow is on the ice.Β 

Edited by Big Cliff

She does well out on the iceΒ and snow; butΒ she's a bit on the heavy side and I don't want to loose her to Lady Simcoe. If aΒ bombardier from anΒ operator are going out; makes me feel Sally can also go by staying on an operators trail?

Dan.

8 minutes ago, DanD said:

She does well out on the iceΒ and snow; butΒ she's a bit on the heavy side and I don't want to loose her to Lady Simcoe. If aΒ bombardier from anΒ operator are going out; makes me feel Sally can also go by staying on an operators trail?

Dan.

I am guessing that a bombi would have lighter track pressure than Sally, so Sally would need thicker ice.Β  That's just a conjecture, but an educated one.

15 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

I guess it would depend on how much snow is on the ice

Quad doesn't like a lot of snow; but isn't as heavy as Sally.

Sally doesn't care about snow; out on Nipissing last year, we were plowing fresh trails through three feetΒ of snow pulling a 5X8Β bobsled.

thumbnail_IMG_0156.jpg.212d8ee43d2c9124ffa36b9780ec77e2.jpg

The sled was carrying three guys and all our gear. I road very comfortable driving Sally; but the guys in the sled got bumped around a bit. LOL

Note to self; drive slower with passengers in the bobsled. LOL

Dan.Β Β 

Edited by DanD
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wish them a good season, I really do.Β Β But how Β are they going to be able to determine if all hut occupants are from the same household?Β Β I'm sure that is the covid procedure laidΒ out for them to follow. But does anyone really think it is going to be followed very closely? Β 

I built a six man hut with 12 openings to the ice. Two holes each for the six guys. What do my fishing buddies do; they fish outside? Only coming into the hut for a warm up or something to eat. So for us it shouldn’t be an issue following COVID rules. Someone needs to warm up; I stay in my end of the shack (well above the two meter distance or I go outside and stretch my legs. No rules being broken. If we’re questioned by an authority; ask him to prove we were all in the hut at the same time.Β 
Dan.Β 
Β 

13 minutes ago, DanD said:

I built a six man hut with 12 openings to the ice. Two holes each for the six guys. What do my fishing buddies do; they fish outside? Only coming into the hut for a warm up or something to eat. So for us it shouldn’t be an issue following COVID rules. Someone needs to warm up; I stay in my end of the shack (well above the two meter distance or I go outside and stretch my legs. No rules being broken. If we’re questioned by an authority; ask him to prove we were all in the hut at the same time.Β 
Dan.Β 
Β 

I'd be more concerned with him asking how you all got to the hut or to the lake., especially if you all drive up to the lake in one vehicle and onto the ice in less then 6 Β machines.

Well as much as I would like to fish with many of the guys on this board I am being VERY careful about following the rules. I am just glad we even have this opportunity! I guess it's all good to take chances until someone you know and love dies from covid.Β 

12 hours ago, crappieperchhunter said:

if you all drive up to the lake in one vehicle

We've talked about that and decided we'd drive ourselves to the lake.

Β 

12 hours ago, crappieperchhunter said:

and onto the ice in less then 6 Β machines.

Getting out there; isn't an issue.Β Me driving Sally or the quad (depending on the ice conditions),Β pulling the 5'X8"Β bobsled with aΒ guyΒ and gear inside the sled. Yea it'll mean 4 trips to get the five of us out there; but its not like we're on the clock or anything. With it already being the end of January; I'm thinkingΒ not to put the big hut out thisΒ year. We'll use the bobsled as a warm up shack and take turns going in. We wont even be bending the rules; let alone breaking any.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

I believe you Dan. But I also believe many many others will not take this as seriously as they should. And that is the problem IMHO. I'm taking this seriously and doing my part. The last day I fished was the day before this last lockdown and I fished solo. Β When this is all over I will be able to get up in the morning and look at myself in the mirror and know with 100% certainty that I did what I was told to do....for the good of all. Those fish will still be there for me when I return.

• Like 3

With 6" of ice, I don't think Sally will be going anywhere any time soon. Slow down guys, the lake JUST froze.Β 

Β 

I plan to fish, but just me and the wife. I do my part and stay away from people, long before covid came around.Β 

S.Β 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sinker said:

With 6" of ice, I don't think Sally will be going anywhere any time soon. Slow down guys, the lake JUST froze.Β 

Β 

You're probably right about Sally, not being able to go out on Simcoe. May mean a run up to Nipissing; but that seems like a lot just to use her? I'm hoping that I can get the quad and the bobsled out on Simcoe; at least to the perch grounds?Β I'm alsoΒ  waiting and watching forΒ the hut operators to start using their bombardiers; if or when they do; then I'll try putting Sally out on the ice?Β Stay on theΒ trails and not venture to far off the trails. Maybe I'll get Tim Hale to give me crap again for setting up to close to his string of huts; "causing them to flood"? LOLΒ  I was 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away from his string; but I guess that wasn't far enough for him and his team. They kept buzzing my hut every chance they had. On my second day out there they started again; but this time a CO was watching. After he checked that we were legal,Β he ask how long has the harassmentΒ been going on.Β  I told him and he said that he would take care of it. For the rest of my 5 day stay in the hut; I wasn't bothered by him again. I use to have a lot of respect for Tim and the way he catered to his customers. I guess if you're not spendingΒ money with him; you're crap on the bottom of his shoes. Just telling it as it happened.

Dan.Β 

Β  Β  Β  Β Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β i'll

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 6:31 PM, crappieperchhunter said:

I wish them a good season, I really do.Β Β But how Β are they going to be able to determine if all hut occupants are from the same household?Β Β I'm sure that is the covid procedure laidΒ out for them to follow. But does anyone really think it is going to be followed very closely? Β 

I'm booked in with them for next week to take my Son outΒ for a day.Β  I was told onΒ the phone that on arrival they will be requiring the names of everyone going in the hut, for contact tracing purposes.Β  That is probably at least in part to alleviate some liability by showing they did their due diligence.

They have staggered arrivals and departures, so everybody isn't there at the opening bell scrambling to be first (like it used to be!).Β  I chose the latest of three windows (9-930am drive out, 5-530pm pickup) 'cause my Son is a teenagerΒ and doesn't like to get up early.

I was also advised to check theΒ home page of their website where they have all requirements listed.Β  I've always found them to be a pretty professional operation, so I would expect the same from them where re-opening requirements are concerned.Β  I guess I will find out next week!

Edited by Dutch01

23 hours ago, DanD said:

You're probably right about Sally, not being able to go out on Simcoe. May mean a run up to Nipissing; but that seems like a lot just to use her? I'm hoping that I can get the quad and the bobsled out on Simcoe; at least to the perch grounds?Β I'm alsoΒ  waiting and watching forΒ the hut operators to start using their bombardiers; if or when they do; then I'll try putting Sally out on the ice?Β Stay on theΒ trails and not venture to far off the trails. Maybe I'll get Tim Hale to give me crap again for setting up to close to his string of huts; "causing them to flood"? LOLΒ  I was 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away from his string; but I guess that wasn't far enough for him and his team. They kept buzzing my hut every chance they had. On my second day out there they started again; but this time a CO was watching. After he checked that we were legal,Β he ask how long has the harassmentΒ been going on.Β  I told him and he said that he would take care of it. For the rest of my 5 day stay in the hut; I wasn't bothered by him again. I use to have a lot of respect for Tim and the way he catered to his customers. I guess if you're not spendingΒ money with him; you're crap on the bottom of his shoes. Just telling it as it happened.

Dan.Β 

Β  Β  Β  Β Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β i'll

Theres lots of other lakes besides simcoe and nipissing that have safe ice. You are just going to have to wait a bit for simcoe.Β 

Β 

I don't know about what happened with you and the hales guys, I thought you said it was floyd hales to be honest, but I have been going out of beaverton for over 30 years, and I have nothing but good to say about those operations. I've been on both the receiving end, and the giving end of help, and they all pulled together when someone was in need. Now, if you were set up in their compound, that is on you. If you were set up on the trail they were using, that is also on you and a huge NO NO. I don't even ride my sled on their trails. They spend a lot of time and money to keep their "roads" open and accessible and marked for the safety of their clients, and all it takes is one person to wreck their day. I'm sure you could understand that they have bad days too, and people setting up in their area will do that. I know its not their lake, but they do deserve some respect out there, and I always give them a wide berth. They are just trying to pay their bills like the rest of us. I haven't had a single issue with any of them. Just because you see their huts, doesn't mean you need to set up in that area either. I always have better fishing away from the packs of huts. Stay to the outer edges, always come prepared for anything, and never count on anyone but yourself to get you out of a bad situation. Rules to live by out there.Β 

S.Β 

• Like 4

I've had dealings with both Floyd and Tim. Floyd wouldn'tΒ help with pulling my hut out after I misjudged the strength of machine IΒ needed.Β I had a hundred dollar bill in my hand stretched out to him; this is what I got from him. "I'm not hooking up my equipment to your junk; get the #&^$ out"

Like I said above I was anywhere from a 1/2 toΒ 3/4 of a mile away from his string of huts. Well off hisΒ trail and away from any other huts; that's until he made a new trail to buzz the hut.Β 

I respect what you're saying Shane and I thought I was also showing Tim respect for going as far as I did? I was in a large empty area West of his string; closer to the islands.Β I cut my own trail to get there. Plus there were tones of huts North, South and East of his string and I know some of thoseΒ were closer toΒ his string then I was. That was aΒ year ago; time to forget it and move on.

Dan.

1 hour ago, Toronto_Angler said:

This statement bothers me. It's like something someone from north korea would say

Everyone in Canada obeys laws to one extent or another.Β  Some people speed, some don't.Β  Some people are obeying the stay at home order, some are not.

I'm not sure how that puts you in any position to judge crappieperchhunter for making their own choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Toronto_Angler said:

This statement bothers me. It's like something someone from north korea would say

You left out the most important part in my quote...which was for the good of all. Β It's all good we are allowed to have differences in opinions. My 78 year old mom was always a stickler for following the rules and doing what you where told, I guess that where this comes from for me. Β And to illustrate my point I will mention that when this second lockdown was imposed she called all her 3 adult kids and askedΒ us all to please not stop by for any visits until this is over. My folks live in Bobcaygeon where my cottage is and a Sunday morning pop over for a coffee is something I do whenever I am up there. Β I haven't been in there house or they in my cottage since the end of November.

• Like 1