First bait cast rod

siwash

Hey folks, 3 weeks back I posted on my first bait cast combo.. I ended up getting an Abu Black Max for a good price. Seems like  a good reel to get started in bait casting. 

I now have to decide on a rod and a few of you suggested Lews, Abus etc.. I came across Falcon rods and they get really good reviews.. I have also considered the GX2 Ugly Stik...The Ugly sticks tend to get very good reviews but several say they are a bit on the heavy side and lack sensitivity.. As a beginner I will probably not notice this.  But  am thinking if I spend a bit more I can get. abetter rod that I can use for a long time.  The Falcon is not easy to find but I found one on Amazon for $88. It's 6'6" medium power, medium action and since I cast almost exlcusiveley treble baits (cranks, occasional spinners), I am thinking the medium power and action is well suited for my style of fishing. The Falcon HD only casts up to 5/8 oz while the GX2 I am looking at is Medium-heavy..and cast 3/4 plus can take heavier line (which I don't think is important to me).  For the smallmouth, walleye, pike and odd small muskie I catch, I am wondering of the lighter outfit is better? Plus the Falcons get great reviews.  The GX2 is $60 so price difference isn't huge.. 

Thoughts? thanks!

I’ve never heard of “falcon rods” and honestly in that price range it probably won’t make a huge difference between one rod or the other.

a longer medium heavy rod is kind of a “quiver” killer when just starting out. It can throw spoons etc for pike but you can also throw other stuff like crankbaits etc with it as well. String your baitcaster with braid and then attach a leader to it using a double uni knot depending on what you are fishing. If you are throwing lighter stuff, 8lb fluro, if it’s spoons etc for pike, attach a piece of wire, if it’s walleye, run some 14lb fluro etc.

when I first started I had a shimano Bob Izumi mh that I used for everything and it got me by actually really well (those rods were actually awesome for the price) 

don’t ask me about my rods though now...lol

this is me when I look in the rod box on my boat

image.gif.3a358982fa74a02e704ae736a01b2a87.gif

• Haha 1

What you have chosen is a good set up for general fishing conditions. A MH for perch is no fun but a ultalight is no good for pike so the first rod should be something that does all jobs well. Eventually you will find the direction you will go to start tuning you're equiptment to the species and size you want. 

Art

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BillM said:

Bump that up to a 7ft med power and you'll have a perfect all around rod for anything.  

Thanks guys..l should have also mentioned that I am fishing generally from a kayak.. and from what I've read shorter rods are an advantage on a yak.. but I suppose 7' isn't too long.. I am 6' tall so my reach is pretty good.. 

I have a Falcon rod, it is actually the most expensive rod I own, at the time I bought it around 95 bucks. I had no complaints, the quality and action were perfect for my intended use, but the one I have is a spinning rod built on a telescoping flipping stick blank and is 7' 6". Falcon rods were pretty popular down here, especially their low rider casting rods.

5 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

I have a Falcon rod, it is actually the most expensive rod I own, at the time I bought it around 95 bucks. I had no complaints, the quality and action were perfect for my intended use, but the one I have is a spinning rod built on a telescoping flipping stick blank and is 7' 6". Falcon rods were pretty popular down here, especially their low rider casting rods.

Can't remember the site, but one of the US sites that sells online (from Cali i think) is where I came across them.  The reviews are really good on them.  Made in the USA which is nice... everything seem to be made in the PRC these days... for $20 more than the G2X  I can get one -  a medium action, medium power.. for the kind of species and lakes I target, I am leaning toward it.. that or the GX2

Edited by siwash

I would suggest a medium heavy 7 ft rod in the 125- 150 range for your first rod. It may end up being a rod you will have for many years to come. I have some really high end rods but some of my favourites are my lowest priced rods that I have had for over 20 years. I personally like Shimano rods as the warranties have never let me down.just remember like anything, you get what you pay for 

On 1/22/2021 at 9:05 PM, siwash said:

Can't remember the site, but one of the US sites that sells online (from Cali i think) is where I came across them.  The reviews are really good on them.  Made in the USA which is nice... everything seem to be made in the PRC these days... for $20 more than the G2X  I can get one -  a medium action, medium power.. for the kind of species and lakes I target, I am leaning toward it.. that or the GX2

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Falcon_Rods/catpage-FALCON.html

I am just assuming since you are fishing out of a yak you aren't fishing out in wide open waters? I could fish the wide open waters of Lake Erie and a medium action rod was about all I needed, but get around cover? weeds, wood and such and a little heavier action rod seemed like a better plan for me.