Thinking of moving out of the provence....

tb4me

So as the title states were considering leaving the provence for a slower life..Were strongly considering Nova Scotia. With covid and city living life has become somewhat of an eyeopener..The family is getting older and its just my wife my daughter (19) and myself. We want to  own a hobby farm and some land to hunt on..Now I have a couple of questions...  

1. Has anyone here made the move one way or another? If so how did you handle logistics? 

2. Can anyone here recomend a great fishing site just like this one? In the provence of Nova Scotia....I really should have numbered this question #1  

Thanks for any help insight or input! As always it's super appreciated! Cheers folks!!

Edited by tb4me
Spelling...

I haven't done it personally but I have some young friends that have and they love it, he is an avid fisherman and hunter and I am sure they would be happy to help. PM me your email and contact information and I will forward it to them. 

Edited by Big Cliff
  • Like 1

In 2006 I moved West and North.

Best thing I've ever done. I did the move by myself mainly because I didn't have the $$$ to pay a mover to do it. I ended up making 2 trips from Ontario to the Northwest Territories.

At least your destination is easier to get to and you won't have any issues getting a mover to haul all your stuff out there.

You will need to make a trip or two out there beforehand to look at and purchase a property. You will need to look into employment also unless y'all are retired.

It's a lot of work but I found it a lot of fun and exciting.

Every time I come back to the old haunts in Ontario I can't wait to get out now. It's way too peoply for me now.  ;)

Edited by DRIFTER_016
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I too want to semi retire in NS or NB but I’ve heard some say that if you’re a come from away, you’re not truly accepted. 

I do believe you're right about that.  Along with things that you can find in every corner store here, you may have to order it.  But I guess you can get used to the relaxed way of doing things.

14 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Getting used to the relaxed way of doing things?  

Sign me up

Same here.. this is why we're doing this...Travel restrictions should be fun trying to buy a house down there...

Edited by tb4me
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tb4me said:

Same here.. this is why we're doing this...Travel restrictions should be fun trying to buy a house down there...

What part of NS are you considering? 
I love the south shore. Mahone Bay Area. The food and craft beer down there...my god.
prefer the rugged side over the Bay of Fundy side. Or old mr AG. Bell had his piece of Paradise in Baddeck. Wonder what the fishing is like on the Bras D’Or. it’s a mix of salt and fresh iirc

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

Sister and Brother in law move down there 5 yrs ago and love it there and the people down there are great. I was there in 2019 and had a great time and everyone l talked too were very pleasant even knowing where l was from. Can not wait for this covid thing to be over so l can go back. Loved my visit down there.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:44 PM, Hack_Fisherman said:

Drifter, how did you find life relocating out there? 

S Ont is such a damn rat race. I’d love to relocate (as long as there was an abundance of accessible water)

A lot quieter up here.

2km commute to work.

More water than I can fish in 100 life times.

I was coming up here to work every summer and thought why do I keep going back to Ontario. 

I've always really enjoyed Nova Scotia and have spent a lot of time there. I was stationed in Halifax for 3 years in the 60's when I was in the Navy and my wife and I have travelled back several times for vacations along with New Brunswick & PEI

You mentioned Truro and I immediately  remembered this guy. We were staying in the Truro Hampton Inn hotel right on the highway and I spotted him and his dog hiking down the road. He was wearing a skirt and pushing a baby carriage full of everything except a baby.

No idea what he was doing but I think of him every time I hear the name Truro  LOL

056.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, misfish said:

So you could fish shoulder to shoulder on the tribs with all yer friends. LOL

Would rather go to Alaska for that.

Only reason I have been coming back is for family reasons.

Now that pop's gone there's no reason to come back. Well one more trip to pack up the storage locker and haul it back home.

• Like 1

A close friend of mine did this a few months ago.  She bought the house over the Internet (yikes!) and had to get permission from NB to transit through in less than a day, could NOT stay in NB overnight.  I don't recall what the rules were for traversing Quebec, if there were any.  When she got to her new home in NS, she and her pets had to quarantine for 2 weeks.  No going out for groceries, etc etc but she was able to have them delivered.  She likes it down there a LOT.

Most "down homers" are good people, like folks everywhere.  I'm sure with the covid Bull that newcomers/strangers are eyed with some suspicion, but if a person makes an effort to get to know folks I am guessing that will fade.  No different from small town Ontario, if you are the new person in town.

You might want to do a bunch of research if you have not done so already..............like talk to the local chamber of commerce, the town/region/township clerk, etc, IOW the people that really know the area you are considering.  Good luck!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, akaShag said:

A close friend of mine did this a few months ago.  She bought the house over the Internet (yikes!) and had to get permission from NB to transit through in less than a day, could NOT stay in NB overnight.  I don't recall what the rules were for traversing Quebec, if there were any.  When she got to her new home in NS, she and her pets had to quarantine for 2 weeks.  No going out for groceries, etc etc but she was able to have them delivered.  She likes it down there a LOT.

Most "down homers" are good people, like folks everywhere.  I'm sure with the covid Bull that newcomers/strangers are eyed with some suspicion, but if a person makes an effort to get to know folks I am guessing that will fade.  No different from small town Ontario, if you are the new person in town.

You might want to do a bunch of research if you have not done so already..............like talk to the local chamber of commerce, the town/region/township clerk, etc, IOW the people that really know the area you are considering.  Good luck!

Were looking at buying a home online too..Im a self employed home renovatior so ill work with family down there and a good realitor.. combined with a home inspector qere not worried in the slightest .. Were looking for a fixer upper with land and a cottage, also a fixer upper.. Nothing beats sweat equity when you can do the work..All i need is a good foundation good well and septic and im not worried about much more then that..Sure is exciting!! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tb4me said:

Were looking at buying a home online too..Im a self employed home renovatior so ill work with family down there and a good realitor.. combined with a home inspector qere not worried in the slightest .. Were looking for a fixer upper with land and a cottage, also a fixer upper.. Nothing beats sweat equity when you can do the work..All i need is a good foundation good well and septic and im not worried about much more then that..Sure is exciting!! 

Power to you and enjoy!!!

Dan.