What happened to free speech?

Rizzo

5 hours ago, fishingwithbob said:

Rizzo, laughed when I saw your Avitar...

Must have been a great photographer :)

Fun day.

ya its a classic. That pic was taken probably around 22 years ago when a bunch of us from this board got together on simcoe for some ice fishing. Since I didn't want to carry the auger out and I couldn't find my own sled...I snuck into the neighbour's garage and took their daughter's barbie sled for the day! As far as the picture being blurry? Well back in those days we may have enjoyed a few brown pops out on the ice. 

11 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

ya its a classic. That pic was taken probably around 22 years ago when a bunch of us from this board got together on simcoe for some ice fishing. Since I didn't want to carry the auger out and I couldn't find my own sled...I snuck into the neighbour's garage and took their daughter's barbie sled for the day! As far as the picture being blurry? Well back in those days we may have enjoyed a few brown pops out on the ice. 

fishingwithbob has better eyes than I have...............😉

17 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Does not seem to blurry to me...

FrankRizzo.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rizzo said:

That pic was taken probably around 22 years ago when a bunch of us from this board got together on simcoe for some ice fishing. 

I remember that day Roger, I think it was the 1st OFC G2G I ever attended.

Been a lot of water under the proverbial bridge since then.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Jesus it’s been some years since everyone was driving to their fishing spots on simcoe...yowza

cant even walk on it this year

Use to get on here in Barrie and drive all the way down to cooks bay. That was probly 20 years ago. Snow machine was a chevette.  If I got stuck, just leave in drive, push,get it going and jump back in. LOL

I know about 10 years ago we had a ton of ice on Simcoe, I would take the 98 Sierra to the hut, the hut that I built wayyy too big and heavy lol! I remember having to drill through almost 2 feet of ice. Gonna be a short season this year it seems :( Just started a rink in the backyard since I might not be able to do one on the lake for that long this year.

Back in the day my Dad used to tow my brother and I across Simcoe on a toboggan behind his truck on the way to the fishing grounds.

Don't know for sure when this picture of my bro & me was taken but sometime in the 50's.

Scan0009.jpg

Edited by lew
  • Like 7

I know what you mean; I've had a few different huts out there. Usually stayed between Thorah and Georgina islands, in or hopefully on the perch grounds. Didn't even think of taking my sleeper hut out last year. For 3 years prior to that I spent extended weekends out on the ice. On a Saturday and Sunday, I'd fish with family; when they left I'd be on my own and enjoyed every minute of it. Stayed for a week once during February. Knew I had enough provisions, propane for the RV furnace and the generator was full of gas to keep my batteries charged. A whole week to myself and time to ponder where the cancer I was diagnosed with was to take me. Great therapy got my head around it and came through it clear of the disease. Not saying the solitude cured it by any means; but got my head in the right place to fight it. During the times out there I also had the chance to meet a few other people; mostly walkers. This one couple I saw walking towards the hut, looked half froze. He had his arm around his wife's shoulder as to shield her. When they were close enough I called them over and asked if they'd like to come in and warm up; which they did. It took them some time to stop shivering; but after a couple cups of hot soup and the furnace cranked up they were fine. Got them bundled back up in their gear and the three of us road back to shore on my quad. I have not seen them since but do get a text form them during Xmas time. Another time a guy had his snowmobile breakdown a few hundred yards away form the hut. He said it had done this before and after letting it to cool down it would likely fire up for him. So he put up his pop up and went fishing. (Bugger caught more fish then me. LOL) A few hours later I heard him trying to start the sled; but not even a misfire was happening. It was also late afternoon and the light was dimming. Told him he was welcome to stay in the hut for the night and have something to eat and a bed. That we'd try the sled again in the morning. He agreed and we had a good meal and then got into my 60 of rye. Lets just say we both slept well that night. LOL The next morning, hungover like bears we towed his sled back to Beaverton.

Sorry for the long post; but as I started typing; I started reminiscing.  

Dan.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, misfish said:

I,ll bet Lew,it was more fun back then,staring down a hole in the ice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Nope, even in the 50's it was about as exciting as watching 5 pin bowling on our 6" TV screen  LOL