What happened to free speech?

Rizzo

I was surprised to see Roman Baber get ousted for his public letter. Are people not permitted to share their beliefs anymore? Wouldn't the better thing be to prove Baber wrong than to turf him? Figured Ford would reprimand the guy for not following the 'company line' but to boot him over a contrary opinion?

• Like 1

When the boss says something, right or wrong, and you publically go against them... well ya... you gonna get chitcanned.

I know this is a politically based thing, but this really is a lesson for all of life. Know how far you can stick your neck out before you get it chopped off.

Edited by jonasdry
  • Like 1

Well hes part of the Conservative caucus.. so no free speech allowed.. lol..   (not that theres any free speech in any of the other caucuses either)  Covid is changing everything.. even ice fishing.. I think I saw a letter from the OFAH telling people not to bother asking about ice fishing restrictions, asd they just didnt know lol.

2 hours ago, Rizzo said:

I was surprised to see Roman Baber get ousted for his public letter. Are people not permitted to share their beliefs anymore? Wouldn't the better thing be to prove Baber wrong than to turf him? Figured Ford would reprimand the guy for not following the 'company line' but to boot him over a contrary opinion?

Agreed, scary... you cant dare have another viewpoint on this whole thing, in my opinion the lockdown effects are just as bad as covid or worse in the long term... A lot of all of this doesn't make any sense and your wrong it seems if you question it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonasdry said:

When the boss says something, right or wrong, and you publically go against them... well ya... you gonna get chitcanned.

I know this is a politically based thing, but this really is a lesson for all of life. Know how far you can stick your neck out before you get it chopped off.

So I guess this is the question. Is Ford his boss? Or are the people his boss? I know many people feel the points Baber made are bang on. If many people feel this way why can that viewpoint not be expressed?

• Like 1

My comment wasn't political.. neither right nor left.. I'm not pushing an agenda..  its was an observation...  He has freedom of speech.. he didn't get unelected, he can say whatever he wants. As a matter of fact his freedom of speech.. just got alot free-er. He got removed from the party..  He's still an MPP, that's an internal party issue.. not an overtly political one.  Both parties have been outsing people for years.. especially if they have a mandate and dont need them.  

On an side.. Id rather not talk about politics here..  but Rizzo is a long long time member.,. and I like him lol... and Rizzo.. his constituents are his boss... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ya my bad for posting something political. I generally don't post this kind of stuff so not up to speed on forum policies. I do remember agreeing to them at one point...but the memory isn't what it used to be. Not offended if this needs to be removed now or at some point

Isn't it ironic that I am probably going to get banned for making a observation in a thread about free speech

Apparently i'm wrong for expressing free speech and can get fired too

That's exactly the point I was trying to make with the Don Cherry comparison

All clued in now

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, aplumma said:

Let me clue you in we do not have moderators or Admin. 

Art

Yet  under your avatar picture it says Administrator twice and if you click on the button right at your picture it says your a Moderator, so I'm sure that's where the confusion came from.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

He probably would still have a job if he had made his views known privately. But when you publish your views that are contrary to the boss and health authority for all to see, what do you think is going to happen?

See and I was thinking these viewpoints are probably being expressed privately already. But if they are continually suppressed, never given the light of day, that leads to an "open letter"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TJQ said:

I think I saw a letter from the OFAH telling people not to bother asking about ice fishing restrictions

OFAH have issued a number of "press releases" online to their membership, and the first one was as clear as mud.  The last one basically said, make your own decisions based on your local circumstances, which makes sense.  OFAH cannot possibly know about all of the local rules across the province, and they obviously don't want to be advising folks to do things that their local health authority (or whatever) has deemed unacceptable.

That being said, the province has specifically OK'ed Ice fishing (and cross-country skiing, dog-sledding, etc)

Doug

16 hours ago, Norpiker said:

Isn't it ironic that I am probably going to get banned for making a observation in a thread about free speech

All clued in now

Some here get taken serious,some well, just have tic skin and duck feathers bye . 👍

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Bacon said:

Free speech means that he doesn't go to jail for saying it.  It doesn't mean that he still gets to be a member of the caucus.

Thats what i was trying to say.. but im no wordsmith lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2021 at 8:56 PM, Norpiker said:

All clued in now

You can have all of the free speech you want as long as they do not break the rules of this forum. This is a private club that you have asked to join with that in mind we ask that you follow our rules. if you can't follow them then you may go elsewere where the rules do not apply.  

Art

On 1/16/2021 at 5:55 AM, lew said:

Yet  under your avatar picture it says Administrator twice and if you click on the button right at your picture it says your a Moderator, so I'm sure that's where the confusion came from.

Good point Lew Some parts of the program are templates that do not allow us to change them.

Art

On 1/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, Rizzo said:

See and I was thinking these viewpoints are probably being expressed privately already. But if they are continually suppressed, never given the light of day, that leads to an "open letter"

They probably are even at the cabinet level.  They certainly are privately. A lot of people feel the same way that politician does, including just about everyone  I know, friends, neighbours a lot of colleagues etc. Not much airplay is being given to anything other than the lockdown theory.  It’s clear by the roads alone that there is not a lot of buyin, but hey what do I know. 

Edited by porkpie