Ontario Stay-at-Home Order - can we go fishing, or not?

3 hours ago, Sinker said:

Do you Ice climb as well?

Hells, yeah.  I kinda suck, but I try REALLY hard.....   That's a picture of Debbie Double D's ice climbing ... I could post a picture of me, but who would care?  

1 hour ago, Crimsongulf said:

The cottage is on the east end of the Bay of Quinte. 

Used to fish there a LOT in the 90s, before the Indians netted out all of the fish.  Where abouts is your cottage?  We used to fish out of Picton all the time. There was one night my dad and I caught 39 pickerel, with an average weight of about 8 lbs, and too many over 10 lbs to even count. 

Here's my dad with his 15 and a quarter pounder, eh? I also handed my fishing rod to a girl on our first date = the fish was 15 lbs 12 oz.  As for me, I guess 13 and a half is my best.  Which ain't bad.  

Ah, yes ... those were the days.  Not any more.... 

20200102_125404_HDR.jpg

Dad's 15 Pounder - Annotated date bold italics (2015_07_23 06_27_49 UTC).jpg

15 minutes ago, passthepitonspete said:

Used to fish there a LOT in the 90s, before the Indians netted out all of the fish.  Where abouts is your cottage?  We used to fish out of Picton all the time. There was one night my dad and I caught 39 pickerel, with an average weight of about 8 lbs, and too many over 10 lbs to even count. 

As far as our cottage, if you come down the bay to the old Deseronto Marina, we are directly across the bay from there.

Back in the day, we used to go across the bay to (what is now) the No Frills by boat.  They used to keep a cart coral at the marina.  Now we have to go all the way down River Rd into Napanee and then out to damned near the 401 to buy a loaf of bread.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:45 AM, Terry said:

But don’t try to make me feel bad doing it

hell it’s been almost a year without fishing with a friend in my boat atv or skidoo 

And above is the big point.  Those that want to stay at home, do so.  Those that want to carefully live their lives, do so.  People make their own decisions and have a right to do so.  

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 1

and this is why you do things right...

This weekend a good friend of mine and I agreed to go out to do some ice fishing. As described in my previous post, we did absolutely everything right. He drove himself, we both brought all of our own gear, we set up our huts distanced far enough apart that we could chat but not be anywhere near eachother. He brought his own auger and gear, i brought mine, he had his own bait and I had my own. We kept 10+ feet when we chatted. at the end of the day we actually left at seperate times and went on our way home.

He calls me this morning, hes going in to get a covid test because his foreman that he was directly working with on Wednesday has come down with a bad case of covid. 

That my friends is the difference between catching it and not. If we had "cheated" our safety measures...shared an auger, drove together, landed a fish together id be very worried right now. 

Stay safe guys, be dilligent!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

This weekend a good friend of mine and I agreed to go out to do some ice fishing. As described in my previous post, we did absolutely everything right. He drove himself, we both brought all of our own gear, we set up our huts distanced far enough apart that we could chat but not be anywhere near eachother. He brought his own auger and gear, i brought mine, he had his own bait and I had my own. We kept 10+ feet when we chatted. at the end of the day we actually left at seperate times and went on our way home.

He calls me this morning, hes going in to get a covid test because his foreman that he was directly working with on Wednesday has come down with a bad case of covid. 

That my friends is the difference between catching it and not. If we had "cheated" our safety measures...shared an auger, drove together, landed a fish together id be very worried right now. 

Stay safe guys, be dilligent!

OK

But what did you catch; don't leave us hanging. LOL

Cause I'll tell you about my Ice fishing day last Saturday. It wasn't that cold outside; but I found an area with some frozen stuff. I was sight fishing for some perch; but kept getting snagged on things that were in the way of my choice of prey. After hitting my head on the overhead structure, I was using as a blind. I said screw it and just snagged what I was after. I then had to quietly sneak away before being caught fishing out of the freezer again. I made sure all other fowl hooked steaks, roasts and some carp I couldn't make out what it was; was all set back in place. The perch supper was great and the wife didn't know where I caught them. 

Dan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Well, I like old people, so I will continue to do whatever I can to ensure that I am not one who will pass the virus on to others. Too many have already died, folks who rely on us to ensure their safety. Yah, I want to gtg with the boys, get life back to normal, as long as my actions don't affect others. I don't have a "right" to do that.

HH

thanks for the chuckle @DanD

1 hour ago, DanD said:

OK

Cause I'll tell you about my Ice fishing day last Saturday. It wasn't that cold outside; but I found an area with some frozen stuff. I was sight fishing for some perch; but kept getting snagged on things that were in the way of my choice of prey. After hitting my head on the overhead structure, I was using as a blind. I said screw it and just snagged what I was after. I then had to quietly sneak away before being caught fishing out of the freezer again. I made sure all other fowl hooked steaks, roasts and some carp I couldn't make out what it was; was all set back in place. The perch supper was great and the wife didn't know where I caught them. 

Dan.

OK, so here's a Plan B if you are travelling on the 400.  there is a market just off the 400 at Bayfield that sells whole fish, incl walleye. Prob trout too. Your wife will never know!!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DanD said:

OK

Lolll dan

Was a slow slow day as it seemed it was for anyone that fished this weekend. Every social media report I saw from this weekend was a skunk or small. I got lucky and caught a good keeper crappie that I took home for a snack and gave my dad his first feed of crappie...he is officially a changed man and agrees that crappie is the best freshwater fish he’s ever eaten!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DanD said:

OK

Dan.

Ark's post may be the first ever on OFC where someone posted because they're proud of what they DIDN'T catch! 

Nice no covid catch Ark!!! lol

Edited by grimsbylander
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Great example of a common sense approach to living with the Covid situation.  There seems to be three different approaches to dealing with Covid.

1.  Incorporating good common sense as above.

2.  Over reaction and fear.  If a person wants to live this way and go into total lockdown that is certainly their right but preaching doom to others accomplishes nothing.

3.  Ignoring the problem.  I have to try hard to stay out of this category myself.  This crowd would be the spreaders.

On our Canada trips this year, we have followed protocol and done what was asked.  We were never a risk to anyone other than sheer luck of the draw.

After that ramble my thought process is that if you use common sense and common courtesy you can still have a life. 

COVID speckled trout Bama gulf style

speckled-trout-Abruscato-19-1-1024x836.jpg

• Like 1

Without reading the entire 4 pages my quick answer to the question is "no". But if I want to go ice fishing but while being smart and safe getting there to do it I certainly will.  I may have to borrow my wifes note from her employer saying she is allowed to be on the road. There are constitutional questions at play here to be answered by persons a hell of a lot smater than me, or so I'm told. 

Picton used to be at the west end not the east end, Deseronto is the east end, or it was in the 70's. I've seen many fished pulled out of there by nets and spears, far more, many many more by hook and line. 

Mr. Crimsongulf. And that would be one very purdy trout you have there Sir. And I agree. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

17 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

1.  Incorporating good common sense as above.

2.  Over reaction and fear.  If a person wants to live this way and go into total lockdown that is certainly their right but preaching doom to others accomplishes nothing.

3.  Ignoring the problem.  I have to try hard to stay out of this category myself.  This crowd would be the spreaders.

On our Canada trips this year, we have followed protocol and done what was asked.  We were never a risk to anyone other than sheer luck of the draw.

Well, none of the above mentioned will get us out of this sooner than later. Suggesting that humans use "common sense", something that is obviously in short supply these days is yet another way to extend these stay at home orders.

Not listening to people who are trained, educated and experienced because of a presumed right to do as we please, is simply ignorant. No one on this board can say with impunity that they are not an asymptomatic carrier. 

We have a retirement home just down the road from our house. There are 100 residents in the home. As of yesterday, half of the residence have tested positive, ten have died and 30 staff are infected. The disease did not walk in the front by it's self. Most of the folks in the home are war vets who IMHO deserve better than to die from what others perceive to be "common sense". Unless you are an expert in communicable diseases, you don't get to suggest what "common sense is; your just fooling yourselves and potentially folks who are vulnerable.

Ignoring the problem has got us to where we are now. I get the feeling that many here haven't had this plague hit them personally. I bet that when it does, some of these attitudes will flip pretty quick.

HH

• Like 3

Exactly Joe! Just learned last night that my neighbour has it, unknowingly since early in the new year until he was required to get tested for contract work and now his Wife and two Daughters are both positive and probably many others that he's associated with as an Electrician and her a Teacher.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Was my son that made him get tested....as GM of the Township. At least he's been taking it seriously the past 10 months, but it's certainly taking a toll on him trying to keep all his ducks (employees) in tow. He went for a walk to clear his head Sunday afternoon, but instead was the one that called 911 for the sledder that died in open water between Midland and Penetang Harbours. Can't win..

My wife just informed me of a family who's children attend her school (wife's a school principal). Large multi generation family of 13. Mid 50's father tested positive. The health unit followed up with the family, now all 13 are infected. these are numbers that are not at all uncommon. How do contact tracers follow up on this and all the others?

Not possible.

HH

17 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

. How do contact tracers follow up on this and all the others?

Not possible.

they can't, and this is partially why our numbers are in the crapper. if we don't know the chain of causation, then we're flying blind. the simple act of wearing a mask would go such a long way to improving things, but no, it's too hard for some people.

They are considering the trails a business so they are closing them. There. I heard Muskoka is closing their trails too

but no one has closed icefishing.  Some areas have closed rentals but  other areas are allowing them

so no need to justify anything. But you are more then welcome to have your opinion on this subject 

Seems to me that trailering a snowmobile is kind of like painting a bullseye on your forehead.........

.............but I do not have a lake in my back yard (unfortunately) and do intend to drive my truck, by myself, to go ice fishing.  Locally.  By myself.  And not stop enroute.  Police have more important jobs to do than bother drivers who are alone in their vehicle and obeying all traffic laws.  And I don't want to catch covid, nor do I wish to give it to somebody if I am asymptomatic, so I fly solo.  And the Argo stays in the garage............

17 minutes ago, Terry said:

They are considering the trails a business so they are closing them. There. I heard Muskoka is closing their trails too

but no one has closed icefishing.  Some areas have closed rentals but  other areas are allowing them

so no need to justify anything. But you are more then welcome to have your opinion on this subject 

No, they are not closing them because they consider them a business, they are closing them because of complaints to the Health Unit (Yes, my partner does work for the the Health Unit). Parking lots full of out-of-town vehicles could very easily generate the same level of complaints related to ice-fishing. 

• Like 1