Ice Fisherman recovered from Bay of Quinte

PUMP KNOWS

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

The idea of trying to ice fish quinte when I can’t even get on the ice in parry sound is mind blowing to me. 

guys stay safe and be prepared to go through. The ice is absolutely terrible everywhere right now

That lad knew Quinte very well but was still in an area known to be sketchy in early season. Apparently he was wearing a flotation suit even but the current in that spot did him in. Don't know if he was carrying a spud. That's part of the problem with social media. I've seen plenty of nice Walleye taken from Quinte this year posted already, problem being is that it gets folks all wound up to get out there and sometimes safety takes a back seat to common sense even if you are careful. No fish is worth dying for.
I'm surprised the ice is that bad up there. Guys are fishing everywhere around here, back lakes for trout have been frozen over for at least a couple of weeks now, again tons of trout pics on the 613 Ice Fishing group on FB.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

That lad knew Quinte very well but was still in an area known to be sketchy in early season. Apparently he was wearing a flotation suit even but the current in that spot did him in. Don't know if he was carrying a spud. That's part of the problem with social media. I've seen plenty of nice Walleye taken from Quinte this year posted already, problem being is that it gets folks all wound up to get out there and sometimes safety takes a back seat to common sense even if you are careful. No fish is worth dying for.
I'm surprised the ice is that bad up there. Guys are fishing everywhere around here, back lakes for trout have been frozen over for at least a couple of weeks now, again tons of trout pics on the 613 Ice Fishing group on FB.

You really really gotta pick your spots. Small lakes are ok, but any bigger water is a nightmare/not frozen yet. Even areas that traditionally have access all winter aren’t even safe to walk on yet. 

that’s the other thing, I’m not trying to make assumptions about this guy in particular, but some of our older “bigger” gentlemen would have a difficult time on a good day pulling their body weight up over the ice. I know my pops would have a hell of a time getting back up on top if he went through. 

unless you are young and physically capable of doing a pull up and are spudding your way in a floater with picks ready, you are really taking a chance going on sketchy ice.