the LIGHTEST flip-over ice hut?

akaShag

55 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Sometimes it helps to have buddies in the outdoors industry............turns out a buddy of mine (Vortex optics) knows the sales rep for Eskimo, who knew of a Quick Flip 1 that was in a warehouse somewhere...............and it's on its way.

Thanks for the advice, folks!  Now let's get some of that hard water, eh!

Doug

That sounds like insider trading, lol.  Whatever works.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

Sometimes it helps to have buddies in the outdoors industry............turns out a buddy of mine (Vortex optics) knows the sales rep for Eskimo, who knew of a Quick Flip 1 that was in a warehouse somewhere...............and it's on its way.

Thanks for the advice, folks!  Now let's get some of that hard water, eh!

Doug

Score!  Good luck with the new toy and enjoy.  

Get yourself a 2x6 the length of your truck bed to slide that hut into your truck bed on. Much easier than lifting it. 

I used a Clam Fish trap for years. It eventually wore the sled part out, and I sold it, but it was decent. 

S. 

• Like 1

Thinking of going back to a 2 man hub. Weight 20lbs . I fish alone, so a hub is just well and fine. I can set it up in minutes. Wind or no wind.

I already have a 6ft bogan ( that slides slick as butter on toast ),2 milk crates,and auger that just sit nice in it. The hub will strap on easy.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/140855/cabelas-2-person-ice-shelter

11 minutes ago, misfish said:

Thinking of going back to a 2 man hub. Weight 20lbs . I fish alone, so a hub is just well and fine. I can set it up in minutes. Wind or no wind.

I already have a 6ft bogan ( that slides slick as butter on toast ),2 milk crates,and auger that just sit nice in it. The hub will strap on easy.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/140855/cabelas-2-person-ice-shelter

"wind or no wind" eh!!!  When the ice is as bare as a baby's bottom, no snow to put on the skirts, and the wind is gusting to 30+++, PLEASE take a video of you setting it up and taking it down.  Thinking I might learn some new curses.........😁

With snow on the ice and low wind, these pop-ups are the cat's meow, lots of room, super light, windproof, nice and dark for looking down the holes....but on bare ice and with a wind, they are too much for this arthritic old fart to handle.  I never tired para-sailing and don't want to start now!

Doug

10 minutes ago, Terry said:

Just like the flip over huts we use the ice shavings from drilling holes  to hold down the skirts. 
and I screw down one corner before i start setting it up 

Good points, and yes I have done both, but I have found in a big blow that one man can't do it by himself.  Particularly if that one man is older, with a bad back, and named DOUG.  😉

40 minutes ago, akaShag said:

When the ice is as bare as a baby's bottom, no snow to put on the skirts, and the wind is gusting to 30+++,

Will pick my days Doug for it.

I have set up in winds.

First put in anchor,then attach bungee cord to anchor then to hub. Proceed with set up. This would not be my first or second hub.  1st was a 2 man,2nd, a 4 man . Ya it can be a bit of a P3TA, but like I said, pick my days. I even anchor my flip the same way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, misfish said:

I even anchor my flip the same way.

Hmmm, I had not thought about that.  I did have a small flip-up shelter a long time ago, maybe 25 years or so, and come to think of it, that did get away from me one time on the Bay of Quinte.  I was done for the day and put my stuff on the ice, and WHOOPS away went the shelter, like a freakin ice sailboat.  After I chased it almost to shore, I was unhappy enough that I sold it.........

So thanks Brian, for that bit of advice!

Doug

17 hours ago, akaShag said:

Hmmm, I had not thought about that.  I did have a small flip-up shelter a long time ago, maybe 25 years or so, and come to think of it, that did get away from me one time on the Bay of Quinte.  I was done for the day and put my stuff on the ice, and WHOOPS away went the shelter, like a freakin ice sailboat.  After I chased it almost to shore, I was unhappy enough that I sold it.........

So thanks Brian, for that bit of advice!

Doug

Well you can always park a couple of ARGO tires on the windward side, if it still moves you're probably pushing hurricane winds.

11 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Well you can always park a couple of ARGO tires on the windward side, if it still moves you're probably pushing hurricane winds.

Got the tracks on her now, buddy!  But no ice anywhere that can take that weight yet...........