getting into a baitcaster

siwash

Hey folks, I bought the Abu Black Max at Cabelas.. My first ever BC. I was thinking of what rod to pair it with.  How's the Ugly stik Elite?  How about the Berkley Lightening?  Anything else in that price range?

Also, what line would you recommend? Should I go with mono or braid? 

thanks.. 

6 minutes ago, GBW said:

Rod depends on are you thowing, chucking, pitching or trolling lures with said reel...  And then there is a budget you should mention...  ;)  

thanks guys.. Thought I implied budget when I mentioned the Uglystik. 

I tend to cast a lot of rapapa-type cranks...the odd spinnerbait... I also enjoy trolling... I probably troll 25% of the time out there.. I am total newbie at BC so didn't think about this.

1 minute ago, AKRISONER said:

Correct! Casting with mono or fluro is tough to start. But is definitely better than braid once you’ve learned how. You’ll never go back honestly. I only fish a spinning rod for ned rigs and drop shots

Why is mono/flouro better?  So you'd go 100% flouro? Interesting... and if I'm going with 14lbs mono, would I tie a lure on directly or is a leader required? 

Cast any hardbait on good flurocarbon AMS youll be blown away at the distance. If I throw a jerkbait with the wind I can pretty much spool myself with one cast. That’s how far the lure flys.

you can also throw little squarebills and small light crank baits and light plastics etc a ways which is basically impossible on a spinning set up

Edited by AKRISONER

4 hours ago, siwash said:

So back to one of my original Qs - what rod should i pair with the ABu black max (between $50- $100)?  And what line?

Thanks!

I'm a Shimano fan so my vote goes there for a rod brand.

53 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

If I was only going to carry one casting rod it would probably be something like this, https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Aird_X_Casting_Rods/descpage-DAX.html?from=tbassin

Daiwa Aird X Casting Rod 7'3" Med Hvy

Thanks guys... Ohiofisherman, you don't prefer the cork handle? I guess not necessary? 

What the diff b/w medium and medium/heavy? Fast action? Just got my reel.. so small.. 

Edited by siwash

1 hour ago, siwash said:

Thanks guys... Ohiofisherman, you don't prefer the cork handle? I guess not necessary? 

What the diff b/w medium and medium/heavy? Fast action? Just got my reel.. so small.. 

Just a little heavier action, look at the casting weights, cork is OK, no preference to me though. Never bought a rod without seeing and holding it myself, a feel for it being able to do the job?

What y'all think of the Lew's products? 

I would get a Lew's.  I understand at one point they may have been made in the same factory as Shimano.  (didn't check the link to see what model you checked)  

One piece or two? Does it matter ? 

No...proof is in the fact that the most expensive fly fishing rods you can buy are in pieces. Typically for bass rods 1 piece rods are higher end and there’s an argument to be made about the parabolic action of them. 

you won’t notice a difference except the two pieces will be easier to transport around and the eyelets will be crooked lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1