Minn kota remote vs foot pedal

Gravyboat

I'm looking at some bow trolling motors and I see they have a Power Drive with remote and i-pilot. The one with a foot pedal is about $500 more. 

I have a Humminbird Helix 7 and plan to use the i-pilot feature with motor.  I'm wondering if I will miss having a foot pedal or if the hand held remote would be fine. Anyone have good/bad experience using the remote? 

Or if you're like me and do both...........

I have an older Minnkota that I added the Copilot to for the remote.

Have both remote and pedal.

Pretty sure the ones that come with remote also have the pedal in know the one on my buddies boat does. It's a Terrova.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Or if you're like me and do both...........

I have an older Minnkota that I added the Copilot to for the remote.

Have both remote and pedal.

Pretty sure the ones that come with remote also have the pedal in know the one on my buddies boat does. It's a Terrova.

Terrovas have both...powerdrives have one or the other

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

I’m going to agree with splurge and get a terrova v2 one of minkottas more reliable motors. The v1’s not so much...the powerdrive v2’s also not so much. 

I could swing this one. Seems to have everything I'll need. Doesn't say V2 though. 

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/93694/minn-kota-terrova-55-bow-mount-trolling-motor-with-i-pilot

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I’m gonna recommend the bigger thrust gravy. The 55’s are great for tinners and 16 foot single consoles but a full console Lund will leave you wishing you had the 80lber when the wind blows.

This boat is a side console. But I'll look into the higher thrust 24v models. Thanks! 

• Like 1

The 80lb is obvioulsy better, but I have a 55lb on my deep and wide starcraft tiller and its great. No complaints. Between my main engine (40hp Yammy) and the bowmount, I can cover any trolling speed, and the spot lock works great even in a big wind. 

S. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I added iPilot to my Powerdrive this spring thus losing my foot pedal.  Worked great, the ipilot is a game changer with spotlock, following tracks, contours if you have Humminbird electronics.  The only thing I didn't like about losing my pedal was the ability to stop the motor while fighting a fish without taking a hand off the reel. Hook a fish and it starts coming right at you, sometimes with the boat momentum and the fishes run towards you, there is a lot of slack in your line no matter how fast you can reel.  With the foot pedal it was easy, bump with your toe and done, with the remote, take one hand off the reel, hit spotlock or the prop button, put hand back on the reel, fish gone! Thats my only negative about foot pedal vs remote. You do gain extra floor space on the casting deck without the pedal which on a 1650 would be nice (it is on my 1700)

All that said I used the the 55# Powerdrive ipilot all season and sold it this fall and bought myself a 80# Terrova, the extra thrust will do my boat well and will gain a more advanced pedal as well as remote.

• Like 1