Life hack

lovetofish

Looks good! Great place to dry gloves or maybe burn them up? LOL The grill does look useful for warming things up. 

Just pulled my big buddy out of storage. When to test light and it wouldn't stay lit? The pilot flame was just a whisper of a flame and couldn't heat the thermal coupler to close the gas valve. Went on-line and found a simple fix for this. A Q tip swab with about half the cotton pulled off (to fit into the pilot nozzle) and some rubbing alcohol.  Stick the wet swab down the nozzle (about an inch and a half) a few times and try lighting it. Worked great one turn of the igniter and a nice torch like blue flame.  

Dan.

Edited by DanD

15 minutes ago, DanD said:

Looks good! Great place to dry gloves or maybe burn them up? LOL The grill does look useful for warming things up. 

Just pulled my big buddy out of storage. When to test light and it wouldn't stay lit? The pilot flame was just a whisper of a flame and couldn't heat the thermal coupler to close the gas valve. Went on-line and found a simple fix for this. A Q tip swab with about half the cotton pulled off (to fit into the pilot nozzle) and some rubbing alcohol.  Stick the wet swab down the nozzle (about an inch and a half) a few times and try lighting it. Worked great one turn of the igniter and a nice torch like blue flame.  

Dan.

Do that twice a season Dan . Just a bit of crumb or what ever,will hamper the pilot. Also, hold the button down and blow some air through it .

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

I've got some 3/4 inch expanded metal that I'll try cutting out a grill like the store bought one? Weld a coupled hooks on the one end as to not to fall off and a couple of sections of angel iron to make the heating tray ridged.  

Thanks for showing me the idea guys.

Have welder, can build! LOL

Dan.

On 1/7/2021 at 12:07 PM, Dutch01 said:

High heat on galvanized finish gives off toxic zinc fumes.

True, but it can be burnt off quite easily---stand well back. I made a wood burning camp stove out of galvanized metal but gave it a good burn before using. I could see the yellow smoke rise. I let it burn well after the fumes stopped. Yeah I know--I dumped a few toxic fumes into the atmosphere.

On 1/7/2021 at 11:30 PM, lovetofish said:

I wondered if I just heat the crap out of it, wouldn’t it eventually stop putting out poisons fumes? 

They work fine.  I have used one for 3 seasons.  I did make one out of a wire grate midway through last winter that is a lot sturdier and moved on to that, but the roller grill works fine, you won’t see any fumes off of it.  I did leave in on the heater for 45 minutes or so in the driveway when I first made it, but I didn’t stick around to watch for off-gassing.  No issues ever since.