What type of drill would I need for a ice auger?

tender52

Hi guys and gals.  Long time no see, and a happy new year to all.

I do remember seeing a post like this before. However, I'm not going back to look for it.

The title says it all. Right now I still have my trusty 6inch Normark. I do see a lot of yellow (I'm guessing Dewalt) on the ice.

Time to get out of the stone ages I guess. And yes I have the adapter already, installed and ready to go. Just need a power source.

This is always the best place to come for help.

Depending on your budget the Brushless with the most power you can afford.  I searched all over by me when I needed a new drill and the Milwaulkee Fuel M18 was sold out and on backorder so I have a Dewalt Max Brushless 20V.  The Clam ice drill adaptor or ones like it are so much eaiser to drill with than the small socket style too in my eyes.   

I run the DeWalt 1/2in Brushless Hammer Drill (DCD996B) with my 8in finbore.     I blew up your standard Dewalt 20V drill using that auger last year :)    You might get away running the standard drill with a 6in auger, but you'll be better off with the hammer dril for sure.   

18 minutes ago, tender52 said:

DEWALT DCD778C2 20V MAX Brushless Compact Cordless Hammer Drill Kit, 1/2-in On sale at CT, reg 299.99 I bought it 129.99.  If anyone else is interested.

DEWALT DCD778C2 20V MAX Brushless Compact Cordless Hammer Drill Kit, 1/2-in

(25)
4.7 out of 5 stars. 25 reviews

#054-2235-2

I’d not trust that one. Suggest stepping up to contractors grade with all aluminum gearbox. CT only carries homeowner grade. Can’t speak for Milwaukee 

16 hours ago, tender52 said:

I did pause because it said compact. Its easily returnable. I wasnt to sure on the compact part

You may do alright for a while with a 6 inch auger.  Not sure how the dewalt compare to Milwaukee but I ran a 6 inch for 2 seasons on a Milwaukee compact and it worked just fine.  I do know that I have heard of a lot of dewalt compacts packing it in when used on an auger.  I’m a Milwaukee guy, I have a bunch of M18 and M12 stuff around the house, and always had good results.  When I saw a deal on the m18 fuel combo I snapped it up.  No regrets it’s an amazing drill on the ice and I use the drill and impact driver all year long!  I’m sure the beefier dewalt will work also. 

Edited by porkpie

11 minutes ago, irishfield said:

Buy a Ridgid and burn it out as many times as you like....

True, I think only one of the only lifetime warranties out there...for now. Most of my (electric) woodworking power tools are Rigid now. 

CT Mastercraft tools are now only 1 year. I just took my “guaranteed for life” mastercraft torque wrench in for replacement only to get a 1 year guarantee on the new one. 

57 minutes ago, porkpie said:

Just use that one, if it’s a ridgid it’ll do fine on a 6 inch auger I’m sure.

Actually, thanks for reminding me. I have to take it back. I used it to start the generator because the rope and something else broke. The chuck or something inside broke or seized.  ( no replacement parts for the generator due to its a China one. The shop i took it to confirmed that no parts are available.) Sooo drill start it is.  Works just fine.

• Like 1

Just now, tender52 said:

Actually, thanks for reminding me. I have to take it back. I used it to start the generator because the rope and something else broke. The chuck or something inside broke or seized.  ( no replacement parts for the generator due to its a China one. The shop i took it to confirmed that no parts are available.) Sooo drill start it is.  Works just fine.

Good old Porter Cable for a back up.

Another vote for Milwaukee FUEL (technically Model 2804-20).  I have mine on a clam plate 'cause I like the "auger feel" and in my personal opinion it's safer.  It's light and drills faster than my old (sold) gas auger.  The batteries have never given me trouble in the cold, and I've never come close to running one out of charge in a day.

EDIT to add that I use it with an 8" Fin Bore which cuts amazing.  I also use a 12" extension once the ice gets thick enough but for early ice it's not needed.

ice1.jpg

Edited by Dutch01
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 4:13 PM, tender52 said:

DEWALT DCD778C2 20V MAX Brushless Compact Cordless Hammer Drill Kit, 1/2-in On sale at CT, reg 299.99 I bought it 129.99.  If anyone else is interested.

DEWALT DCD778C2 20V MAX Brushless Compact Cordless Hammer Drill Kit, 1/2-in

(25)
4.7 out of 5 stars. 25 reviews

#054-2235-2

This is the one I blew up :) 

I'm sure it would be ok for the 6in auger, especially if you aren't running and gunning.  I actually still use mine around the shop, but I got it smoking and popping out on the ice after about 10 holes in a row with the 8in Finbore attached to it :)     If you're doing a lot of holes and running and gunning you want the 996 or updated model.  

I do not do a lot of running around the lake. Its usually 2 holes and I'm done. Unless its the once a year my buddy and his son-in-law join. Then its 5-6 holes one day of the year and done. That said, I do get out every weekend. Sometimes twice. I think i will run with the Dewalt I got for now. I will start putting my pennies away for the Milwaukee once this one bites the bullet. Also, I an see a 8in auger in the near future.