Crossed Nipissing Hunters Bay

Bernie

Made the first trip over to camp a couple days ago. Going across Fish Bay was ok as a few folks I know have been crossing it recently but no one had been any further. Wanting to spend a few days out here to light a fire, relax and watch the world Juniors I loaded up the old bike and an ice chisel to check things out. 
As I entered the opening to Hunters Bay I stopped and walked a few yards and chiseled out a hole. A little over 4”, still good to go. A few yards more and it went to 3 1/2”. Uggh. 
At 3” I just about turned around but treaded carefully a few feet more and got back to 4”. 
This went on for another 500 yards and then progressed to over 6”. 
it took a couple hours to go a mile but I made it safely to achieve the goal. 
It’s very important to check ice thickness every few feet as it can vary greatly due to snow cover and underwater currents, especially around islands and shoals. 

7CC16A8A-4EBA-4225-9593-ABD0CD096106.jpeg

5F0A0C13-5D88-44C2-9F2F-C529354A5057.jpeg

EF0519A2-5199-4D5B-842B-14B09D239D23.jpeg

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

They always bring it down in the fall Chris. They need room in the spring for it to go back up again!

God I miss that place....

HH

Hopefully the Covid scare is over soon and we can get back to fishing (and beverages) fun. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Headhunter said:

They always bring it down in the fall Chris. They need room in the spring for it to go back up again!

God I miss that place....

HH

Fair enough Joe, winter is the only season I've not been there, but I should have known.   ;)

• Like 2