Portable fish finder

Big Cliff

6 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

The two helix 7’s from my boat are converted to ice mode every winter and are used a flasher and even better they show my personally made charts that I live charted during the summer to show those little humps and bumps that aren’t on the charts.

summer comes back and they go back into the boat at the console.

Cliff I actually might have a helix 7 si Gen 2 to sell you shortly

Let me know shortly please 😊

Another vote for the GPS. You won't regret it. I have a Helix 5, and a lowrance HDS5, both GPS and I use the GPS function every time. I would be "lost" in my boat without one too.  I have a spare lowrance elite 4 with  GPS that was really cheap and works fine for icefishing, has GPS and Navionics as well. Super handy little unit, and very affordable. 

S. 

21 hours ago, MJIG said:

Is there a way to use the fish finder GPS to mark and return to the “glory hole” you found while roaming around out on the ice?

Or is a separate handheld GPS unit more useful for that?

Yes, very easy on the ice or in your boat.  While being lost in fog or out in a storm and unable to landmark is a very good reason to have GPS mapping on the boat or the ice, and having done all of it is one major reason I have mapping, it’s not the only reason.  
I mark rock piles, entire weed edges, productive sand flats and other spots that I’ve been successful on.  It allows me to go out and do a milk run of all my best spots and find fish.  If you are into the precision trolling game, you can also marks schools the minute your on them and make multiple passes.  In big water pickeral fishing I have many times marked schools on side imaging, dropped a GPS point on them, spun around and made multiple passes catching multiple fish.  Combined with a GPS trolling motor its literally changed the way I fish.  No more lining up 2 trees on shore and hoping you hit the right spot!

Edited by porkpie