Hey me Hamilton byes

misfish

Clouds like that were normal daily operation 40 years ago, I would come in from the south on HWY20 and at the top of the escarpment there would usually be a yellow blanket of smog low over the city. Don't know nothing about steel making , I worked in processing further down the chain.

I like this comment.

Leek said the incident caused "quite a cloud" but it dissipated quickly and police are not aware of any safety or environmental concerns.

Environmental concerns? Why not, because "it dissipated quickly" He's an ass, no he's an ostrich; stick your head in the sand; what I can't see won't hurt me? Eventually whatever chemicals that went up into the shy and "dissipated" will come back down into our streams, rivers and lakes. Then we wonder why such and such lake has gone all but dead? This factory needs to be held responsible/liable to any effect this may have on the environment, years down the road from now. 

Ok I'm on a rant day.

There's another thing that really pisses me off. The TV and movie industry. For our entertainment they set fires, produce explosions emitting all kinds of chemicals into the atmosphere. Guess what, most of these movies are produced in California. The US State that has the most stringent emissions laws in North America? It's all about the buck that can be made; we all care about the environment until there's money to be made.

Stepping of soap box.

Dan.     

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DanD said:

I like this comment.

Environmental concerns? Why not, because "it dissipated quickly" He's an ass, no he's an ostrich; stick your head in the sand; what I can't see won't hurt me? Eventually whatever chemicals that went up into the shy and "dissipated" will come back down into our streams, rivers and lakes. Then we wonder why such and such lake has gone all but dead? This factory needs to be held responsible/liable to any effect this may have on the environment, years down the road from now. 

Ok I'm on a rant day.

There's another thing that really pisses me off. The TV and movie industry. For our entertainment they set fires, produce explosions emitting all kinds of chemicals into the atmosphere. Guess what, most of these movies are produced in California. The US State that has the most stringent emissions laws in North America? It's all about the buck that can be made; we all care about the environment until there's money to be made.

Stepping of soap box.

Dan.     

Uh...Santa didn't bring ya what ya wanted?? 😀

Just kiddin---Environment should always be considered

Ok I know I sound off the wall; but the automotive industry has been hammered with all kinds of restrictions towards emissions. Oh my God a gas cap has been leaking 2.1 PPM (Parts Per Million) turn the check engine light on; you need to get that fixed! Then some special arts person thinks, it'll look cool to burn down a whole car for his shot on a movie? Which we all know that 75% of vehicles today are assembled with plastic. There's no harmful fumes coming off that; beside the smoke will "dissipate" and not cause an environment issue. 

Again sorry for the rant; but?

Dan.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 5:23 AM, misfish said:

You guys sure know how to make the news.

Holly SMOKES

How does this happen ? I know there are a few steel byes here that worked the steel plants .

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/hamilton-fire-explosion-christmas-day-1.5855111

Now---don't be slaggin' Hamilton again!! 

If you worked in Ironmaking anywhere in the world back in the day you owned 3 of everything. 3 cars, 1 for the family, 1 for the wife and 1 to drive in and out of the plant that was never washed why would you waste the time and park next to a Blast Furnace. 3 changes of clothes, 1 set for traveling to and fro for work, 1 set of work clothes and the clothes you wore inside the home. I had to change from traveling garb to home outfits in the garage. I didn't need to be told to do that, the traveling clothes stunk like rotten eggs and Coke Oven gas then the garge did.  ( I forgot Men don't wear outfits. )

I am going to venture an educated guess that Dofasco was dumping hot metal AKA liquid Iron, molten Iron or pig Iron at temps between 2500 F and 2700 F. (2500 F is cosidered cold). This hot metal is dumped  into Iron pits, sometimes the proceedure is refered to as banking Iron. This usually happens at Xmas, that way the Steelmaking facility can be shut down and the Blast  Furnaces can run at very low wind rates, also known as "faning" a furnace.  It could however be an operational error that hot metal was diverted into a slag pit that was cold and had moisture in it. More than a few operational errors have to happen to make a Boom, Boom. Dofasco had a similar "eruption" around Xmas a few years back. N.B. an eruption must be far less hazardous as an explosion. We used the same rediculous terminology, believe me if you were withing a kilometer you knew it was an explosion. 

Stelco Hilton Works stopped this proceedure in the early 90's. It was considered hazardous as well as environmentaly irresponsible. We paid for more than a few power washes to homes and cars in the neighbourhoods depending on the wind direction and new sets of bedding that hung on the line, even when the wind was blowing in the other direction.  It could be done however with all the provincial ministries involved permission if and only if an iminent danger to a worker or workers is probable. But Dofasco still does it 25 years latter. That's enough Blast Furnace 101 for 2021. Happy New Year folks. Boom Boom!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2020 at 1:11 PM, DanD said:

I like this comment.

Ok I'm on a rant day.

Stepping of soap box.

Dan.     

Rant on young man, rant on. You have paid for the right to. Way back when I'm on my way into a 12 hour shift in Hamilton and I have to pass the old train station now The LIUNA Station on James North where they are filming an X-Men movie. I'm early so I pull over and watch. They drop a Cop car around 30 feet from an overhead crane and yep, boom, boom, boom with black smoke billiowing out from the explosion, or is it an eruption? If I was responsible for an even smaller eruption I would expect to be charged by the Ministry of Labour as well as the Ministry of the Environment. and maybe discharged, discharge sounds better than "fired." 

Note, you can mix Blast Furnace slg and water at anytime without blowing something up. That in fact is how we make Pelitized Slag or "Popcorn" to be used as an agregate in "cinder" blocks and concrete. All the concrete used to build The Skydome has Stelco Hamilton's E Blast Furnace slag in the mix. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker