Barry’s Bay

Terry

Any one live or vacation in the area. Looking at some property in the area.  Looks like there should be good fishing in the area

is it a nice area or slum like town. 
anyone know if you can run an atv on the roads without getting a ticket 

any info would be helpful

thanks

Mostly nice but there is some slum around-bad apples everywhere.  Older retired crowd is strong in numbers.

Good fishing, hunting season is religion, lots of trails, ATV into town for Timmies no problem.  Summers are super extra busy with flocks of folks coming from the city to all the camps in the area, lots of young people.  The main lakes dont get busy with boaters, a couple of hot spots and thats about it.  Winters full of snowmobiling.  Horrendous blackflies and skeeters in Spring.  Beer store+liquor store in town alongside a few churches.  Something for everyone!

Just now, Dozer said:

Mostly nice but there is some slum around-bad apples everywhere.  Older retired crowd is strong in numbers.

Good fishing, hunting season is religion, lots of trails, ATV into town for Timmies no problem.  Summers are super extra busy with flocks of folks coming from the city to all the camps in the area, lots of young people.  The main lakes dont get busy with boaters, a couple of hot spots and thats about it.  Winters full of snowmobiling.  Horrendous blackflies and skeeters in Spring.  Beer store+liquor store in town alongside a few churches.  Something for everyone!

Forgot to add, there is lots of water around, you'd need an entire lifetime to fish it all. 

• Like 1

My fishing up that way has all been March ice fishing since back in the 80's and 90's. Mostly at Sunny Hill but we had some great years at High Country Snoasis while they were operating. Their main Shacks in March were located on Bark lake in a spot that is known as The Piers. Think fishing in 15ft of sandy bottom clear water with a current in the original river run that the smelt still follow as they migrate toward their spawning grounds.  Some years that channel opens up late March and is even accessible from the shore out across some ice and you are literally casting from "shore". We also had some good times fishing several back lakes for trout on the west side of 523. Check out Fish on-line
 I would say that you picked an excellent area overall.

• Like 1

Where in the area are you looking? Depending on township, you are looking at radically different prices and taxes. I moved to Wilno 5 years ago from king city, and I love it here. No problem with atv's on the road, and tons of nearby fishing for everything but muskie. You have to drive an hour to get muskie.......such a hardship lol.

The town is very quiet. Average age of madawaska valley is over 65 I believe. 3 gas stations which are always competing with each other as well as  golden lake reserve. All amenities in town including a dispensary lol. Cheap smokes and dispensaries on the reserve also. 

Lots of crown land to enjoy. Lots of wildlife. NO TRAFFIC......other than deer crossing the road, or moose. The bugs can be bad depending on where you are and what the weather has been like.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Terry said:

but looking  over by killaloe.  

My Mom was born in Killaloe nearly 100 years ago and all her family stayed there until the last one passed away a few years back. Beautiful area where I've spent a lot of time over the years.

nlpaintballer above mentioned Wilno which is right between Barry's Bay and Killaloe and if you like Polish food some of the best you'll find anywhere is the Wilno Tavern. Couple times a year my wife and I drive 100 miles to to eat there and have never been disappointed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Terry said:

Thanks for the info

i am looking real near the town of Barry’s bay  is the first property,  but looking  over by killaloe.  Even a a piece of land by muskrat lake 

Muskrat lake is a different animal---it's Cobden

Busy lake---lots of bass tourneys---suffers every year from a heavy blue green algae

good fishing---just busy---lots of Ottawa traffic

Guess this is where the interweb is a good thing for info 😏

• Like 2

The closer you are to the west gate of algonquin, the cheaper it gets both for properties and taxes.

There are not many places for sale in the area, covid has really changed the market up here. Places that have been on the market for years are going for more the listed price. If you find something you like, jump on it. 

• Like 1

Grew up fishing Aylen Lake from '86 to '97. Lived on the lake year round for four of those years. 

Not sure what it is like now, but it's not far from Barry's Bay, and was (at the time) most affordable. 

Fishing was "ok" at best. Some lakers, lots of whities, and not many, but some real big smallies. 

Corner of the lake was actually inside the park boundaries. 

Quiet area of the province. 

• Like 1