Pressure cooker ??

misfish

1 hour ago, misfish said:

How many and size jars, could I do in this 5 lt pot ?

Edit to add, how can I tell what pressure I have with this thing ? Is there a gauge I can buy ?

pressure.jpg.3c8145931df1c41e346507eee63f7115.jpg

Well, some people do however, without the pressure gauge, you don't know the actual psi in there.  A 5L pot is about 5.2 US qt. that pot is pretty small, mines a 17 qt and there's a bigger one yet.  I use mine to cook turkeys before canning, you'd barely get 2 wings into that one, lol.  I would guess you might get 4-5 small or 4 medium jars in there.  You're not supposed to fill them more than 2/3 full.

Edited by Fisherman

1526876169_PressureCanner.JPG.377a4997fdf9e47f6ac07066d73ae128.JPG

27 minutes ago, HTHM said:

You might be looking for a pressure canner. My understanding, it's a different animal than a pressure cooker. 

My thoughts exactly, my pressure cooker just has the weight on it that spins whereas my much larger 16 qt 1970's Presto "pressure canner" has the gauge which shows temp and pressure as well as the pressure regulator weight and a small air vent with a sliding plunger that pops up and seals the unit when it's hot enough. It also comes with a rack which will hold 8 jars.

Edited by smitty55

Ah, so this is not what I want then . 

Please post what I want to can fish and meat . Hope I can buy local . I will only be using it on the side burner on the BBQ . Not inside the condo . If worse comes to worse, I can drop jars off at Fisherman,s,and pick up later .:tease:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, misfish said:

Ah, so this is not what I want then . 

Please post what I want to can fish and meat . Hope I can buy local . I will only be using it on the side burner on the BBQ . Not inside the condo . If worse comes to worse, I can drop jars off at Fisherman,s,and pick up later .:tease:

If I was to buy another one this is the one I would get. Presto still makes the top rated ones. More pricey in Canada but it will last forever.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYCFU?tag=aboutcom02thespruceeats-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=4136488|n751a9192676c4effa9deeffdcdaac65420

I've never used a pressure canner, and I have canned thousands of bottles of everything you can think of. I'm not saying you should, but you can safely can things without the pressure canner. 

Do you think our grandparents had these back in the day? NOPE! 

S. 

Edited by Sinker

On 12/19/2020 at 1:42 PM, misfish said:

how can I tell what pressure I have with this thing ? Is there a gauge I can buy ?

Yeah you could easily. I have a low pressure oil filled gauge here that I was going to use on a project that I never got around to. It's yours if you want it. Drill a hole in the lid of the pressure cooker, tap in 1/4" pipe threads and you'll be good to go.

Gauge.jpg.47ab4dd774c6e19d8cf9b4c31c8b96d6.jpg

Dan.

Edited by DanD

1 hour ago, DanD said:

Yeah you could easily. I have a low pressure oil filled gauge here that I was going to use on a project that I never got around to. It's yours if you want it. Drill a hole in the lid of the pressure cooker, tap in 1/4" pipe threads and you'll be good to go.

Dan.

Will that handle the high heat Dan?

It should the liquid inside the gauge is there to stop the needle quiver and it should also help dissipate the heat? What does he have to loose. If the gauge goes for a crap screw a plug in the threaded hole and he has what he started with. LOL

Dan.

On 12/21/2020 at 7:56 AM, DanD said:

Dan.

Not so sure this would work Dan. 1/4” npt threads are an 18 pitch meaning they’re about .055” per pitch. Due to thickness, the lid of that pressure cooker is most likely  not going to give him even 1 thread of engagement. He’d probably have to get a small stainless spacer welded to the inside and drill through both...or have a hole in the spacer and drill through from the backside. 
At that point it doesn’t sound worthwhile. 

You should be able to find a pressure canner at almost any second hand/thrift shop. If you are on the budget look for a presto. If you are dumb like me I bought and All American 925.

Anything that is not acidic needs to be pressure canned. Read through this:

https://nchfp.uga.edu/

The US Gov't has spent decades testing and publishing food preservation information. Each state has an "extension office" generally located at a large university that also tests and maintains information as well. The link above is one of those.

Be safe and good luck, be prepared to waste a couple of batch's as you figure it out. My kids were eating chili yesterday that I pressure canned in the spring.

Edited by jonasdry
typo

5 hours ago, jonasdry said:

You should be able to find a pressure canner at almost any second hand/thrift shop. If you are on the budget look for a presto. If you are dumb like me I bought and All American 925.

A pressure cooker maybe, but pressure canners are far more scarce, not that many folks actually use them. Plus right off the bat many are just plain scared to use a pressure cooker even, I know my wife is. I've never seen a pressure canner at a thrift shop and rarely a pressure cooker even. But you never know.