Eels

Big Cliff

I just saw this. A few years ago I watched a show on eels. They do migrate from the ocean into lakes and streams particularly in the Maritimes and northern states. There's a very lucrative industry in catching the small ones, keeping them alive and shipping them to Japan for aquaculture that grows them to maturity. Very similar to how tuna are caught small, penned and grown to maturity  in the Med. The dollar numbers for the guys who caught them in streams and the guys who shipped them to Japan were 6 figures. VERY lucrative. Not sure if this is still going on but with that kind of $$ it might get fished out quickly. Speak of quirky ways to make money fishing it's possible to make a 6 figure income on the Columbia river catching Pikie Minnows and turning them in for a bounty. All you need is an Ugly Stick and a container of worms. Lots of hours too. Finally if you review Christmas dinner for British kings and queens you will always see some Lamprey pie as well as roast Swan on the menu

After my second marriage my wife and I went to Newport News Virginia to visit her girlfriend and her husband that lived there. Some water supply reservoirs there and the area tackle shops had 10+ plus bass hanging on their walls that had been caught in them, all I could connect with were eels like the one on page one. They cut most of the Golden Shiners I was using for bait in half, like they had been cut with a knife. When I finally hooked one and saw what it was I didn't want it the the boat with me!

1 hour ago, Snidley said:

I just saw this. A few years ago I watched a show on eels. They do migrate from the ocean into lakes and streams particularly in the Maritimes and northern states. There's a very lucrative industry in catching the small ones, ke eping them alive and shipping them to Japan for aquaculture that grows them to maturity. Very similar to how tuna are caught small, penned and grown to maturity  in the Med. The dollar numbers for the guys who caught them in streams and the guys who shipped them to Japan were 6 figures. VERY lucrative. Not sure if this is still going on but with that kind of $$ it might get fished out quickly. Speak of quirky ways to make money fishing it's possible to make a 6 figure income on the Columbia river catching Pikie Minnows and turning them in for a bounty. All you need is an Ugly Stick and a container of worms. Lots of hours too. Finally if you review Christmas dinner for British kings and queens you will always see some Lamprey pie as well as roast Swan on the menu

http://www.pikeminnow.org/background/save-a-salmon-and-make-money-doing-it

Some serious cash for minnows!

• 3 weeks later...

The Seafood depot selling it makes sense.. I'm italian background and that is an Italian owned business. My mom would fry eel every Christmass eve - but only the uncles/aunts/nonnos would eat it! She would buy them live (that's how they sell them at those places).. I remember them squirming around in a bucket when she brought them home...very cool.. that was in the early 80s...