Eels

Big Cliff

When I was a kid (around 1952 or 3 ) we use to fish a little creek in Quebec that ran into the Lake of two mountains. We caught all sorts of things but I do remember us catching some large eels. Quite often people would stop and buy them from us I think the going rate was 5-10 cents for a nice one. I never see or hear of anyone catching them anymore. I would love to get my hands on some to smoke, I had smoked eel in Belgium and absolutly loved it. Anyone know where I  might fish for them in Southern Ontario?

13 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

I had smoked eel in Belgium and absolutly loved it

That was more then likely a saltwater eel. When we use to go to Belgium to visit family, my Ante would make sure she had a good supply of it for my Dad. Here in London there are a number of European fish marks; that all seem to sell "fresh" eel. Maybe you can get some from a market and try your hand at smoking some?

Dan.  

Edited by DanD

2 minutes ago, DanD said:

That was more then likely a saltwater eel. When we use go to Belgium to visit family, my Ante would make sure she had a good supply of it for my Dad. Here in London there are a number of European fish marks; that all seem to sell "fresh" eel. Maybe you can get some from a market and try your hand at smoking some?

Dan.  

The ones here are saltwater eels , they migrate back to the Ocean. The lifecycle is quite unique

• Like 1

We used to catch the American Eels out in the Belleville Area. Used to get them every summer most every time we went fishing.  We stopped getting them  over 40 years ago. Over the last four years though I've seen three caught and released in the same area. Looks like they may be coming back but you are still not allowed to keep them.  Great eating from what I remember and fun to catch.

In my teen years we caught them by the dozen in local rivers at night. Sadly, our lack of conservation knowledge back then and the fact that they were, and still are, a popular food source has dwindled their numbers down to endangered level. Their life cycle is very interesting and a good read, it takes more than 10 years for them to reach maturity. 

Edited by John
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Gil Levesque said:

Starsky's in Hamilton had smoked eel several yrs. ago! Pricy!!!!! 32.00 lb. They have a store in Missisauga too!

Yes they do, and yes,it aint cheap . They have a very good varity of smoked fish there. Hot and cold smoked .

On 12/16/2020 at 5:47 PM, Big Cliff said:

When I was a kid (around 1952 or 3 ) we use to fish a little creek in Quebec that ran into the Lake of two mountains. We caught all sorts of things but I do remember us catching some large eels. Quite often people would stop and buy them from us I think the going rate was 5-10 cents for a nice one. I never see or hear of anyone catching them anymore. I would love to get my hands on some to smoke, I had smoked eel in Belgium and absolutly loved it. Anyone know where I  might fish for them in Southern Ontario?

I had eel last year when on business in Japan. That and lord knows what else 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2020 at 5:47 PM, Big Cliff said:

The European deli beside beer store gets shipments of eel in

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:
1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Lol out of all of the food available at the grocery store, I’m not sure how someone looks at one of those things and says to themselves, mmmm delicious 

That what I say about brussel sprouts, cabbage rolls and any peppers.

For some reason, I’ve never been able to get my head around brussel  sprouts either, despite trying for years and years.  I love cabbage rolls and peppers though. I think brussel sprouts must actually taste different for me than for the people who love them. Maybe it’s a genetic taste-bud thing or something, I don’t know. 

On 12/17/2020 at 7:23 AM, dave524 said:

The ones here are saltwater eels , they migrate back to the Ocean. The lifecycle is quite unique

Evidently the European ones and the American Eels are both thought to spawn in the Sargasso Sea, European countries such as Belgium have also had severe declines in their population.

When I was a kid we caught like 5-6 small ones, like 6-7 in ch while netting chubs for bait in a tributary of Lake Erie, roughly 15 - 20 miles upstream from the lake, never saw another one again here.

5 minutes ago, MJIG said:

For some reason, I’ve never been able to get my head around brussel  sprouts either, despite trying for years and years.  I love cabbage rolls and peppers though. I think brussel sprouts must actually taste different for me than for the people who love them. Maybe it’s a genetic taste-bud thing or something, I don’t know. 

sprouts are disgusting unless managed by a good chef. Like a lot of things, if you cook it like an old british person its probably going to taste awful. If you boil and steam crap and dont season it, its going to taste like absolute garbage. I am a huge fan of veggies of all types, but holy cow I will not eat steamed soft carrots etc. Frozen vegetables? Yuck

Best way ive ever eaten brussel sprouts, halved baked with olive oil until browned, then placed into baked proscuitto cups with fig and a balsamic glaze drizzled on it...wow 

Edited by AKRISONER