Saving some $ on fishing line

b_cdot

I know it's pretty common practice to reverse braid off one reel to another to save a couple bucks and have some "fresh" line . I am wondering if any frugal fisherman have done this with expensive flurocarbon. I understand it's easier with braid due to lack of memory but will the flurocarbon eventually work out that memory once its reversed? I know there's lots of people that have assumptions of why this might not be good or why it might work great. Wondering if anyone has tried this and what their experience was.

I have no problem with reversing mono on my center pin. Why not save a few bucks when you can? The 150 yds you never use is as good as the day you put it on, in most cases. And burying the 50 or so yds that you do use makes sense!

Edited by Bill Shearer
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 5:14 PM, Bill Shearer said:

I have no problem with reversing mono on my center pin. Why not save a few bucks when you can? The 150 yds you never use is as good as the day you put it on, in most cases. And burying the 50 or so yds that you do use makes sense!

So no issues with memory? 

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Why not use backing? All my reels are Tekotta 300 and they are all 3/4 full with cheap 15lb line then 400 feet of 30 lb braid. I also just splice 100 feet of new braid on when it gets worn...hey times are tough

I do always use backing... i tend to spool up my baitcasters with about 80-100 yds of fluro on top of the backing (bass gear). I used the fluro for the season and I want to reverse it 

Edited by b_cdot

7 hours ago, b_cdot said:

I do always use backing... i tend to spool up my baitcasters with about 80-100 yds of fluro on top of the backing (bass gear). I used the fluro for the season and I want to reverse it 

On my casting reels (Revo SX) i bet i don't have 100 feet of line. I'm casting Walleye at night so don't need much. 

14 hours ago, Rizzo said:

As a Dutchmen I do it with braid all the time. Also as a Dutchmen I never use fluoro as a mainline, just mono. But i don't think mono would work. Just try it and see what happens. Test it out the day before you go fishing tho

You're not helping the ongoing sterotypes the Dutch carry lol