Good deals on food stuff

Hard to beat that Cliff, enjoy your pulled pork. I buy the whole loins when they come on sale and chop it all up into kebobs and freeze in meal size portions for Debbe and I. We like pork kebobs and have 2 different marinades we use for them and have kebobs weekly.  I scored last time they where on sale so I really stocked up or I'd be heading for a value mart  looking for the deal you got.

• Like 1

With prices going up on almost everything and with the increased carbon tax set to go up significantly food costs are going to go through the roof. Watching for these specials is going to become even more important. A couple of weeks ago Valuemart had beef tenderloins on for $5.99/lb, I wish I had loaded up on those, that's cheaper than stewing beef. This pork sholder will yield almost 20 meals, not bad for about $10.00. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

With prices going up on almost everything and with the increased carbon tax set to go up significantly food costs are going to go through the roof. Watching for these specials is going to become even more important. A couple of weeks ago Valuemart had beef tenderloins on for $5.99/lb, I wish I had loaded up on those, that's cheaper than stewing beef. This pork sholder will yield almost 20 meals, not bad for about $10.00. 

I read somewhere that they are predicting the average increase in food cost will be around $600 yearly per household. I have always watched the flyers and stocked up on things we use regularly, and I have noticed  less deals  and higher average prices most of this year. I think that $600 figure will be much higher.

• Like 1

What is annoying to me when you look through the flyers and see the amount of pre cooked and prepared food, is it just me or is society getting extremely lazy or doesn't know how to cook food anymore.  I can't ever remember eating Swanson TV dinners or any of that crap, dad would have taken the wooden spoon to mom, lol.  I've had women stop me in the store and ask how to cook an item or "what are you going to do with that". 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

What is annoying to me when you look through the flyers and see the amount of pre cooked and prepared food, is it just me or is society getting extremely lazy or doesn't know how to cook food anymore.  I can't ever remember eating Swanson TV dinners or any of that crap, dad would have taken the wooden spoon to mom, lol.  I've had women stop me in the store and ask how to cook an item or "what are you going to do with that". 

I have 2 kids in there 30's both with young families and all 4 parents working.  If you are  all working and doing any kind of a commute, it can be well after 7PM before everyone is home and a "proper" meal can be made. Fisherman I hear what you are staying and I agree to a certain extend but times have changed. I was born in 1963 and out of all my friends growing up my mom was one of the few working moms. Today mostly all moms are working as well. 

• Like 1

Both my kids and their spouses work out; the same as my wife and I. What we (My kids have followed suit) have always done is take one weekend a month and make them cooking days. From beef/pork roasts, chicken, spaghetti sauce, lasagna to soups and stews. Keep one of the bigger meals for our Sunday family supper. The rest go into vacuum sealer bags and then in the freezer. When we want something at the end of a long day; it's there waiting for us. With-in an hour we can be at the table having a home cooked meal. My wife is a flyer shopper; if she misses something good, my daughter or daughter in-law are texting to let all of us know where and what it is. 

Dan.

• Like 2

We brought up four girls with one income, there was almost never a do you deliver night!

we make everything at home from jarred tomatoes to our own cured pork products. I make my own wine and have been for 40+ years. Always keep a well stocked pantry from specials or buy in bulk. 
Today’s kids are a bit different want stuff prepared for them. Advertising (which I was/am in) sold that idea. 
Fisherman, we have NEVER had a TV dinner! they still sell that crap! 
if in pinch; broccoli rob (Rapini) in frying pan with garlic and a few hot red pepper 🌶 flakes and on a hot plate of pasta. About $2.00 for four.

• Like 3

thanks for the heads up Cliff, fortunately my Valumart still had some around, Grabbed two, one will be cooked tomorrow (which shld will be a few dinners and lunches, or frozen). the other will get stuffed in the freezer. Wish I had a bigger freezer, cuz this would be great in the smoker.  stay safe everyone

• Like 1

This weeks deals: Food Basics, fresh New Zeland short cut leg of lamb $4.88/lb

Loblaws, prime rib roasts cap off $5.77/lb 

The Wholesale Club (formerly National Groceries), Spalding bacon 500g $1.97 ea. 

Edited by Big Cliff

5 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

This weeks deals: Food Basics, fresh New Zeland short cut leg of lamb $4.88/lb

Loblaws, prime rib roasts cap off $5.77/lb 

The Wholesale Club (formerly National Groceries), Spalding bacon 500g $1.97 ea. 

Real Canadian Superstore has the Prime Rib too Cliff, but theirs is AAA while Loblaws is only AA. Was at our superstore at 7:15 this morning and grabbed 4 roasts. Just finished cutting it into steaks and breakfast meat to go in the freezer.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Down here in Niagara I still find lots of meat deals. Brisket was $3.99lb. Striploins (AAA) now $9.95, and these were over an inch thick. Lean ground beef $2.99 pork loin logs $1.77. I have to do a certain amount of homework every week, but it pays off. 

8 hours ago, dave524 said:

Fried cabbage with a bit of bacon, ground meat or diced ham is always a good one dish meal and cheap There is a million variations if you google " fried cabbage "

yup. red cabbage, steamed a bit, and sauteed. great side with burgers and dogs. what happens a few hours after is not my problem lolol

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, Fisherman said:

I agree. This can’t be healthy. 

Man was not designed to pull up to a drive through window and with zero effort, consume 2500 calories! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, woodenboater said:

ALERT ! pork shoulders on sale at Valumart again. Antibiotic free chickens on sale as well. wish I had a bigger freezer....

I always see a big cooler of pork shoulders at a great price and a box of sausage casings at RCSS  here about this time every year. Last year 2 older gentlemen , Italian I think, had a cart full, 8 or so ahead of me in the checkout, must be a traditional sausage making time .

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 5:01 PM, dave524 said:

Italian I think, had a cart full, 8 or so ahead of me in the checkout, must be a traditional sausage making time .

Yeah it was likely a traditional thing and you did well not getting in the way of a couple of Sicilians. LOL

You'd be swimming wit da fishes if you had.  LOL

I love old traditional foods. My dad has pasted but I still remember the recipes he taught me. The best comment I've ever received was form my sister. " it taste's just like dad's" 

Dan.

• Like 2

I see Fortinos has whole pork shoulders for 99 cents a pound until Jan 20th, also whole pork loins for $1.99 a pound for slicing into boneless chops and roasts. Probably the same price at all the Loblaw's chain stores possibly. 

edit  also 20 yards of sausage casing for $6.99

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was at Real Canadian Super Store this morning doing the weekly shopping during the senior citizen hour.  In addition to the pork shoulders and sausage casings they also have curing salt, the sodium nitrate stuff in a 1 Kg. bag for $2.68,  probably just a seasonal thing like the big cooler of shoulders and casings. 

Edit : it was only 1% sodium nitrate, google says Prague Powder is 6.25 % so maybe not the right stuff

Edited by dave524