I got to play Santa Claus

Well I got to play Santa yesterday. I went to get my mail and there were two Christmas cards in my mail box, the street address on the cards was right but I didn't recognize the names. One of the cards wasn't sealed and there was a $150.00 gift card in it for grocery stores, I'm not sure what was in the other card but there was something in it too. I checked with our office here in the park thinking perhaps someone had just written down the wrong street number but they didn't recognize the name either.

There was a return address on the card but I was afraid that if they went back to the post office who knows where they might have ended up so I decided to try to contact the sender. Well easier said than done, I checked for phone numbers for the name on the return address, no luck. Then I googled the address and in street view found out that it was a modular home park and there was a sign "Georgina Heights" . I googled that and sure enough there was a phone number, only problem is that this park was in Cornerbrook BC but the phone number was 519 area code (Southern Ontario). I tried calling the number just in case it was a management office but no luck, it was the wrong number.

Well, I did have the last name of the addressee and a first initial but when I tried calling the only phone number I could find it was no longer in service. Well I kind of felt funny about reading the card but the envelope wasn't sealed so... the message in the card had a different first name so I did another search using the first name of the person mentioned in the card and got a local phone number. I called and a gentalman answered, I asked if he knew someone in Cornerbrook BC and he kind of hesitated so I explained I had some mail that had been sent to me by mistake and was trying to redirect it to the proper person, I didn't want to divulge too much until I knew I had the right person.

Well it turns out that yes his sister lived there and the name matched the return address name. It turned out that his address is 11 Homewood, mine is 11 Homestead, his sister had just written it down wrong. Anyway it is only about 20 minutes drive over to his place so I ran the cards over to him. So, it took me about two hours total but I got to see someone enjoy a Christmas present they might never have received otherwise and I got to feel like Santa Claus 😊

• Like 8

Feels good doesn't it Cliff. This summer Debbe and I where going for our morning walk here in Oshawa and found a wallet on the sidewalk.  $55 cash but no ID, however it did have a picture of a young boy and a business card for a police Constable in Kingston. Sure enough we found her on Facebook and the pictures of her grandson on facebook matched the picture found in the wallet. So I sent her a message on Facebook saying where we found the wallet and asking if she could identify the contents. In no time at all she got back to me and said her 7 year old grandson lived on a street that was on our daily walk. He had lost his wallet the day before and the money in it was his birthday money from the week before. She contacted her daughter and told her I was coming over with his wallet. Drove over to her place and knocked on the door and mom and son both came to the door and it was a really good feeling giving the young lad his wallet back.

An interesting thing happened later as well. Gramma contacted me on facebook to thank me and she said I noticed one of your face book friends is so and so. I told her yes we grew up together back home in Fergus and our fathers and myself all worked together  at Moore Business Forms but I had not spoke to so and so since high school 30 years ago. She said he was her Police Sergeant and mentor at the police force until he retired 2 years ago.  

It really is a small world isn't it.

We buy our groceries at Foodland in Lakefield and a couple years back while I was loading the bags into my truck my wife stopped at the cash machine in the store and withdrew $200. After we got home she realized she didn't have the cash with her. She called the store right away and told them  how much money was missing and sure enough someone had found the money still in the slot on the machine and turned it in.

My wife thought back and remembered while she was at the machine someone came by that she knew and they got yakkin and my wife forgot to pick up the loot.

Person that found the money never even left their name so we had no idea who it was but my wife contacted the local small town newspaper and told them what happened and they wrote the story in the paper so hopefully the good samaritan read it and knows how much their honesty meant.

1 hour ago, crappieperchhunter said:

Feels good doesn't it Cliff. This summer Debbe and I where going for our morning walk here in Oshawa and found a wallet on the sidewalk.  $55 cash but no ID, however it did have a picture of a young boy and a business card for a police Constable in Kingston. Sure enough we found her on Facebook and the pictures of her grandson on facebook matched the picture found in the wallet. So I sent her a message on Facebook saying where we found the wallet and asking if she could identify the contents. In no time at all she got back to me and said her 7 year old grandson lived on a street that was on our daily walk. He had lost his wallet the day before and the money in it was his birthday money from the week before. She contacted her daughter and told her I was coming over with his wallet. Drove over to her place and knocked on the door and mom and son both came to the door and it was a really good feeling giving the young lad his wallet back.

An interesting thing happened later as well. Gramma contacted me on facebook to thank me and she said I noticed one of your face book friends is so and so. I told her yes we grew up together back home in Fergus and our fathers and myself all worked together  at Moore Business Forms but I had not spoke to so and so since high school 30 years ago. She said he was her Police Sergeant and mentor at the police force until he retired 2 years ago.  

It really is a small world isn't it.

It did feel really good Steve, I kept thinking to myself that for someone to send a gift card for groceries, the person it was meant for must really need it. Because it was in an envelope that pretty much identified it as a Christmas card I worried that the post office might just set it aside as not too important. I was amazed that the gift card was still in the envelope anyway, the flap just wasn't sealed down. 

Glad you had a somewhat similar end result, so many people would just stick it in their pocket and consider it their good luck. 

1 hour ago, lew said:

We buy our groceries at Foodland in Lakefield and a couple years back while I was loading the bags into my truck my wife stopped at the cash machine in the store and withdrew $200. After we got home she realized she didn't have the cash with her. She called the store right away and told them  how much money was missing and sure enough someone had found the money still in the slot on the machine and turned it in.

My wife thought back and remembered while she was at the machine someone came by that she knew and they got yakkin and my wife forgot to pick up the loot.

Person that found the money never even left their name so we had no idea who it was but my wife contacted the local small town newspaper and told them what happened and they wrote the story in the paper so hopefully the good samaritan read it and knows how much their honesty meant.

Glad it worked out for you guys Lew and really nice that you tried to let them know how much their honesty meant. I think it's called karma😊

Here is a business kindness. We have a fresh pasta store, family owned  which we support. We buy pasta sheets; my wife used her card to pay for it $8.77. 
we get home and we get a phone call from them after they did a search that they had charged her $877.00 !!! All well they contacted the card company and they adjusted the amount. On our next visit we all laughed at the matter and when they issued the receipt we made a point to make sure it was was correct. Clients for 30+ Years.

will never use anyone else. Their fresh pasta is the best, along with imported goodies. 

$30 feeds 18 and lots of leftovers. 

• Like 1